Thursday, March 29, 2018

Curatorial Report No. 1 - ASL-100 - 10-21-2006 through December 31, 2006



September 15, 2005 - ASL-100 making its way to the
Town House Restoration Shop at Seashore Trolley 
Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine. It would be more than a
year before work on the National Register of Historic Places
locomotive would begin in earnest.


The first post in this series described how a plan in 1999 to apply for Federal and State funding for the restoration of the 1912 Portland-Lewiston Interurban No. 14, Narcissus was amended to having the initial application push be for restoring the 1906 Atlantic Shore Line Railway electric locomotive No. 100. 

 The second post presents the lists of products and outcomes that came from the ASL-100 as of the end of 2009. Those materials would be key pieces of evidence to include with the 2010 TEA-21 application for the Narcissus.

This post is an edited version of the very first curatorial report for the restoration of the 1906 Atlantic Shore Line electric locomotive no. 100. Having all the funds needed to completely restore the locomotive allowed us to complete the task from start to finish in three years.


31 December 2006
Atlantic Shore Line Railway
Locomotive 100
Curatorial Report No. 1
21 October – 31 December 2006
by Donald G. Curry, Interim Shop Manager
Seashore Trolley Museum

Safely in the box On 21 October, a crew of energetic Seashore members moved Cleveland center-entrance car 1227 out of the ‘box’, the area where it had been for nearly 18 years to permit the restoration of 100 to begin. It actually moved into the box at the end of a long bug with Eric Gilman at the controls, the last powered move until restoration is complete. All controls, resistors, etc. have since been removed. Before that much of the brake-equipment had been removed while the locomotive was in the pit, clearing the way for eventual removal of its trucks.

What does it look like today? Well, it’s separated. The trucks and motors are in the bus box, the bronze bearings are under the front of the Rochester car, the locomotive body now looks like a flatcar with the cab sitting down low at the south end of the block on horses and the main ‘flatcar’ raised on high horses. The decking is completely stripped off but lying (for position and identification) on the sills. The various pieces of hardware, air tanks, brake levers, etc., are all around the outside of the box or on shelves. It looks like chaos.

Randy Bogucki removing steel frame used in moving cab off
the deck while chuck Griffith supervises.

Documentation - Phil Morse, the Project Manager, who tirelessly went through the hoops several times, has spent considerable time working on disassembly of 100 supplementing it with thorough photo documentation with digital stills and video. He has recorded virtually every accessible area, inside and out, as the work progresses. He made a DVD of an interview he did of me as I described the various components and areas of the locomotive, their condition, their function, materials (if necessary), and changes we noticed that appear to have occurred to 100 over the years.

Donald Curry, left, describing nuances of the inner sills
to project manager Phil Morse, right.
Photo by James Morse

The still photographs are on CDs and then downloaded by component area into files on my computer. Eventually, the relevant ones will be printed and made into a reference book for use when reassembly is begun. Many of the photos, especially of complicated areas, have been printed out and the various parts shown are identified and dimensions, where appropriate, are written in. Thanks to the advent of the digital camera and the necessary computer software, there is little question that this is the best-documented project Seashore has ever undertaken. We have hoped that CAD drawings will be made of the critical areas but, at this point, pencil sketches will have to do.

The ultimate goal – We are making a thorough study of what we find in the locomotive and comparing that with the historic photos we have in order to determine the final configuration of 100. Some time ago Tom Hughes made a matrix of significant features we had found in photos over 100’s operating life. Since that time, we have discovered many more items that will add to those findings, giving a more accurate restoration.

It is not our goal to make it a ‘brand new’ locomotive as it left the Laconia Car Company plant 100 years ago. There were significant changes made within a year or two of that time, possibly even being done by Laconia for the ASL.

ASL-100 in 1907 pulling a train of boxcars in the 
Goodall mill yard in Sanford. Notice the lettering on its sill and
the metal-covered hood.

Rather, it is our intent to show this little locomotive, the last survivor of a once-common type, which greatly assisted in the formation of industry and commerce in York County, Maine. It operated for 42 years and was maintained by successive operators who had little to spend and only a small workforce to do the work. It is an example of Yankee ingenuity and thrift. Making it back to day one would lose that essential part of its character.  

Having said that, we do intend to have the lettering ATLANTIC SHORE LINE RAILWAY in large white letters along the sill, as it was for a number of years before it was finally painted out, leaving only the number 100 in the middle of the cab side. There was even a time, during its ‘maroon and cream’ period, when it didn’t even have a number. 100 is the one surviving representative of that line, the second longest trolley line in the state and so important to our area. Also stenciled beside that is the Laconia Car Company logo, something you don’t often see on any trolley.

The only way we could keep the locomotive for a period would be as it came to STM in 1949, only making repairs. If this were followed 100% it would eliminate the very significant lettering on the sills. Because this is only superficial and could be changed in the future if that is ever desired. The following is a summary of some of the features that will be found in the finished product:
  • Wooden hoods of the type it had from about 1908 to the present except with canvas covering.
  • Oak flooring and deck as during its life until SERy. Preserving most of what was within the cab.
  • Soli southern yellow pine side sills as during its operating period
  • Single trolley pole which it had throughout almost its entire history
  • ATLANTIC SHORE LINE RAILWAY and Laconia Car Company logo on its sills as on the locomotive from 1906 to at least 1915.
  • Green paint on the exterior
  • Sandboxes as during later part of its life
  • Trucks and underbody painted black
  • Stove and electric heaters as during its later years.

Other details will be worked out pending further research.

100 at the York Utilities (YUCo) carbarn at River & Brook
Streets, Sanford, circa the 1930s.


102 at Town House with Boston & Maine RR flatcar.
The flatcar may have been used for harvesting wood along
the current mainline at STM.

100 a work in progress and a study in change
Initially, we had thought that there were very few changes made to 100 during its lifetime but, as we studied it more carefully we found a great many. These were documented in our very detailed survey of the changes made to 100 during its period of service (and some by Seashore since it obtained the car in 1949). Some were found by comparing what shows in period photographs and others by disused holes, wires and other physical evidence found in disassembly in 2006. One of the major changes was the attractive metal covered hoods, which appear to have been removed within two years. The replacement was the present wood hoods with the lifting tops.

What have we found as we dig into 100? As this is written, we have done much of the ‘exploratory surgery’: removing the various components, decking, the cab, etc. so we have a pretty good idea of what is there. Our first goal was to determine its condition. Since it’s virtually all-wood structurally except obviously for the trucks, control, and brake equipment, it’s highly vulnerable to deterioration from the weather, especially because of its two exposed decks. Knowing the size of the barns from which it operated and the many photos of its outdoors operation, it’s obvious that it spent the majority of its life outdoors. Even after its arrival at Seashore in 1949, it still was outdoors until relatively recent times and even then it was at the end of a barn, barely sheltered from direct rain and hardly at all from wind-blown precipitation. Thus, you would expect deteriorated wood and we have found considerable, but not as much as we might expect.

At some time, very likely when our Terminal operation on Route 1 was built about 1957, where 100 served as the locomotive to pull the Warwick flatcar, adapted to carry a dump truck load of ballast, the exposed six feet of both decks was replaced by rough wood with a utilitarian purpose in mind.

As described above, 100 in 1957 at the "Terminal" during
ballast disribution.


Our advantage – Unlike several of our recent projects: 639, 1227 and 4175, 100 is largely all there. So we have to do almost no ‘reverse engineering’, something that continues to be a major challenge with 639. We know what is there and can either use it as a pattern or overhaul what we found.

The period of restoration – From what we can find, the most logical period to restore ASL 100 is the late 1920s-about 1940. There would be a few anachronisms and these will be clearly noted: the wheels were changed from the ‘teardrop’ spoked cast iron type to steel wheels, the air compressor was moved under the hood and the Atlantic Shore Line lettering was painted over in favor of the simple “100”. It would be virtually impossible and certainly not practical for us to totally get it to an exact ‘minute’. Rather it will be a tasteful and thoughtful compilation of the major features on the car as we received it but with the acknowledgment of its lineage. The latter will be documented in text and photo displays and prominent lettering on the side sill.

Pilot’s teeth Over the years its oak pilots lost some of their ‘teeth’. The no. 1 pilot is totally missing except for one of the mounting brackets. We have only four out of the total of 14 ‘teeth’, the two mounting brackets and enough of the bottom frame, centerpiece and top mount to draw plans for a new one. Apparently, at the same time, the no. 1 end sill and pilot assembly were removed and no trace of the wood remains. It does appear that we have the original hardware including the coupler and its mounting.

100's pilot "teeth" circa 1949

100's pilot "teeth" circa 1930.

The no. 1 end pilot does show in the photo of 100 on a trailer in 1949 as it was being moved to the then Seashore Electric Railway (SERy). Some of the teeth are missing. We did find the right-hand top support (2 x 6 in. oak) which fastens (with two lag screws and one through-bolt) to the pilot support beam. All others have disappeared. A very important piece we found was the bottom crosspiece, which extends all across the back of the pilot. Both ends are half-lapped so you can tell the angle of the horizontal bottom diagonal pieces. Also, to it is bolted a piece which extends forward on the bottom to the point of the pilot, so between all, we have a pretty good idea of how it is shaped. There are traces of the screws which fastened the teeth so we can figure the spacing from that. In the middle is what gives the appearance of a fence stile. This consists of two ‘teeth’ with a horizontal flat between them with a stiffening tie-rod between. This fits under the coupler.

Sills - About 30(?) years ago some interested members replaced the left side sill because it was badly deteriorated. They used a single piece of spruce 6 x 12 in. That piece is still intact, however, it is not the correct species nor the cross-sectional dimensions of the original. We have examined all the sills and found many of them have been repaired by ASL or YUCo. These repairs consisted of removing the rotted/deteriorated section from the top of the sill, usually about 3 or 4 in. and adding another piece of wood to fill the void. All sills on the no. 1 end require patching whereas the no. 2 end which will require a much less repair.

Left side sill with spruce replacement
done by STM in 1960s will be replaced
with the correct size and correct 
vintage southen yellow pine.


The right side-sill remains but in poorer condition than we had realized. First, there was a longitudinal closure piece (about 2 x 6 in. red oak) running the length of the cab over the sill, which extended about 6 in. beyond the cab wall. This may well have been a replacement by STM. When it was removed, it revealed the inner top and as much as half or more of the inside of the side sill was badly deteriorated. In fact, at the doorway, much of the area had been filled with various bits of wood to bring the door sill up to the proper level. The ‘picture’ side of the sill looked quite good and was still straight so we were fooled until we removed the ‘cap’ piece.

Initially, because of what we saw of the one remaining original side sill, we thought the side sills were 6 in. wide at the top with a rabbet along the bottom inner side bringing the thickness to slightly less than 5 in. Complimenting this was the 6 x 12 in. cross-section of the replaced left sill. However, Tom Hughes’ sharp eyes spotted a very well made splice on the no. 2 end, about 3 in. deep running from the end to near the hood about 6 ft. The spliced piece was 6 in. wide but, by the doorway, the sill was so badly deteriorated that it was impossible to tell its top dimension. However, as we poked around, we came to the conclusion that the sill was 5 in. wide for its entire length.

100's cab was moved to the end of the deck.
Deck boards were removed from one end.

Old wood for a vintage locomotive
On 20 December we placed an order with “BARNSTORMERS” of Portland, ME, a company which salvages significant timber and ‘remanufactures’ it for other uses, principally flooring. Since the southern yellow pine that is available is new growth with wide annual rings. It is quite soft and does not have the strength or character of the old growth with which 100 was constructed. Additionally, it will significantly crack and twist. So we have long been concerned especially about the long sills and secondarily with the end sills and patches for the long sills. Where could we get something that was durable, stable and historically correct? Tom Hughes had mentioned Barnstormers a couple of years ago; then Phil Morse made the actual contact on a tip from the Maine Historic Preservation Commission. Rob Coburn, their representative surveyed 100 with us, found the project very interesting and said they could furnish what we needed.

Barnstormers was in the process of salvaging timbers from the Bates textile mill in Lewiston, ME, some of which were 12 x 12 in. x about 38 ft. long. Two sills could easily come out of that piece. Of course, since they don’t grow old growth timber any longer and because there’s lots of labor salvaging, transporting, de-metalizing and milling it, it’s expensive, in this case, $3,100 for the pair.

At a slightly lesser cost per board-foot, they can furnish the stock for the end sills, pilot support beams, and repair pieces on the other sills.

We are also going to replace the decks and cab floor with specially-milled red oak flooring salvaged from some sort of cabin in West Virginia. They will have it milled to the exact profile of the existing boards.

As we looked at the remains of the pilots, made from oak, we decided it was important to have these made of good oak so we are purchasing the stock from them.

All tolled the price for the wood is not to exceed $9,500. This includes milling and delivery, a great convenience.

The end sill/pilot support assembly on the no. 1 end is totally missing although it did arrive on the locomotive, albeit deteriorating. On the no. 2 end it was there, collapsing on to the truck frame with the through bolts holding it together, largely rusted beyond re-use. There is just enough full cross-section wood to get the original dimensions.

Below the 7 ⅝ x 9 ⅝ end sill, is what we call the pilot support beam, which is fastened to the cross sill with 16 ¾ x 16 in. square-head machine bolts. It requires replacement as well as the 16 in. 6 ¾ x 5 ¾ blocks which shim the coupler out beyond the pilot. Below the pilot support beam is a short piece of s.y.p which holds the train air pipe. So, it’s quite a massive assembly when completely assembled.

Donald Curry removing the no. 2 end sill assembly.

On the end of each sill, there is supposed to be a double tenon fitting into mortises on the cross sill. Many have rotted away or were removed in sill repairs. On the no. 1 end there are only two of the eight that still have the double tenons from which others can be replicated with the replacement to be set into a notch cut into the end of the sill. 

When we removed the remains of the sill on the no. 2 end, we were pleasantly surprised to find all of the tenons remaining. The only one missing was on the left side, replaced by STM. Some of the tenons are soft and will have to be stiffened by injecting them with epoxy resin.

Interesting the pilot support beam was in near-perfect condition with splits only on one end. This may have been caused by the bolts holding the "sandwich" together dragging on the truck frame when the truck swiveled. From its dimensions and the fact that it looks like it was creosoted leads one to believe it may have been a railroad tie. The beam under that which backs up the coupler blocks was also in similar condition.

It is impossible to remove the assembly without cutting some bolts with the Tiger Saw. Most, if not all, have deteriorated to the point that most of their original strength is gone, so they will all have to be replaced.

Deck-floor boards are made of two-inch red oak tongue-and-groove pieces extending out over each side sill a few inches. They were extant under each hood as well as in the cab. Laconia Car. Co. appears to have had the practice of utilizing milled wood to the maximum. Instead of having the flooring all the same width, the boards vary from about 5 in. face to over 8 in. All were fastened to the sills by 4-inch common nails as each sill. A common practice at the time was to have the tongue-and-groove slightly below the midpoint of each board. This allows for some wear, more so that is they were the tongue and groove were in the middle of each board. We also found this practice in the flooring of the vestibules for Chicago 225 and body flooring of Connecticut 1160. These boards must have been applied without being fully dried. We determine this due to the fact that between each board was a 3/8 in space which developed after the wood dried fully. Because of these wide spaces, we have the feeling that Laconia was in a hurry to deliver the locomotive or didn't have a supply of dried wood of that thickness available when 100 was built, so the boards went in "wet" ("stump dried"!). We also notice in photographs, that cracks were visible running down each side sill of 100 and 102. In fact, 100's shows up in the 1907 photos. What kind of guarantee came with the locomotive?

Red Oak deck boards on the floor of cab

We were surprised that the deck boards were red oak instead of white oak. White oak is a bit more durable. This didn't become obvious until Phil Morse accidentally split some boards which didn't cooperate when being pried upon for removal. We are preserving most of the floorboards in the cab especially those in front of the controllers. The floorboards are worn significantly by the feet of the motormen/engineers operating the controllers from the same spot for forty-two years. Since we aren't trying to make 100 "show-room fresh", this wear pattern is a significant "artifact". There are also prints and bolt holes for the two different controllers the locomotive carried; early K-28F and the present K-35G model.

We will have to examine every floorboard to see if we can re-use them. We have ordered enough new vintage red oak boards to replace any original pieces that we cannot save as well as filling in areas that were missing sections of floorboards. Since all the floorboards are different widths it will be tricky to fit them in so they look proper.

1 7/8" tongue-and-groove red oak decking.

Cab sub-frame and stay rods - Around the periphery of the cab runs a 3" by 3" ash sub-frame. It fits between the inner and outer wainscot. The cab is held to the deck by ten 3/4 in. steel vertical stay rods running from under the sills up through to the cab's top frame, one at each window post; four across the ends and two on each side. These run from below the sills up through the top frame. Because of height restrictions in the box where the restoration is taking place, it is necessary to cut each rod before the cab could be lifted enough to clear the underframe. The 3" by 3" wooden frame was rotted on the sides and had to be largely destroyed in order to remove the cab. The ends of the frames are mortise-and-tenon joints. 

When we reassemble the cab we will have to remove portions of the wainscot and weld new ends to the stay rods.

What's under the hoods?
What makes the steeple-cap locomotive, a steeple cab locomotive is the placement of the two hoods. One on each end of the cab with the cab (the "steeple") between them. In 1908, the ASL converted 101 to an express motor from the standard steeple cab appearance that the "trio" of 100, 101, and 102  were when they all arrived in Maine from Laconia in 1906. Apparently, ASL felt the need to have more enclosed space in the cab. There were two daily trips from Sanford to Portland which required express motor equipment. Being a thrifty New England enterprise, they took the cab from 101 and added it to the one in place on 102, doubling the cab length of 102. We wondered which half of 102 's cab was the one from 101, so Leo Sullivan commented that it must be the one with the newer-looking numbers. We have speculated that, if they had a 4th steeple cab, they might have doubled the cab on one and made another express motor. As it was, they did purchase three more (104-106).

A study of the 1907 photograph of 100 shows the headlight mounted on a sort of wooden platform, triangular in shape to account for the slope of the hood. That and fixed handrails on either side of the hoods, bolted to the corners of the cab imply the top of the hood could not be raised. The air compressor is mounted under the locomotive so, unless there was a second one under a hood, why, except for symmetry, would there have to be two hoods? Anyway, at some point, probably 20 years or so later, the present GE CP-30 air compressor was put under the no. 2 hood. Under the second hood are the six large cast-iron traction motor resistor grids. These are wired in series with the motor circuit, gradually cut out of the circuit by the controllers as the locomotive accelerates. Originally, these were bolted directly to the deck boards (the old holes are clearly visible) but later they were set up on two cross pieces of rough wood (2 by 4 and 2 by 6), apparently making it easier to reach the wiring taps which (unusually) come from underneath the deck. In this case, these resistor grids are definitely a generation later than the originals. 

The headlight stored inside the cabinet
in the cab.

Under the other hood at the other end is the big General Electric Co. CP-30 air compressor. The first compressor was mounted under the cab on a specially built steel framework. While we have no evidence for it there is a possibility that in the more primitive air compressor days, there may have been the second compressor under the hood.

We made some interesting discoveries as we removed the hoods. First, they are not the same. The no. 1 hood was very likely original, either built by Laconia originally; then modified in 1908 with the removal of the metal hood cover, or possibly the hood frame was made entirely new as a redesign by Laconia. It is framed with ash, joints are all mortise-and-tenon, held together with screws. The wainscot is the same as on the cab.

One of the hood frames with the exterior wainscot

The no. 2 hood frame is definitely "home-grown" by York Utilities. It is soft-wood framed, all nailed together and the wainscot is a different cross-section, very likely the wood was purchased at the local lumber company. This frame is slightly shorter than the no. 1 hood frame.

Both hood frames have hinges for their top covers to lift up, each cover is presently covered in tar paper roofing but very likely were covered with canvas during its working days? These covers were very likely  SERy (Seashore Electric Railway...the early name of what is now Seashore Trolley Museum) construction, made of pine boards, nailed together with too-long nails bent over. We will not make any changes to the sheathing as it is in good condition.

The doors on the ends of the hoods, which are often seen open in the photos of the locomotives operating in Sanford, are in good condition. They were left open to disperse a large amount of heat that was created by the resistors. Interestingly, the interior walls and covers of the hoods did not have a significant amount of heat-shielding material to protect the wood from the heat generated by the resistors or the compressor.

The hood frames are fastened to the deck boards with "scrap" bolts, which we can re-use.

The cab. One of our more senior member's first comments on seeing 100 in its current disassembled state was, "This will be a replication, not a restoration!" He was assured that was not so. We will be retaining virtually all of the cab and major portions of the rest of the wood, the notable exceptions being the side and end sills of the deck.

By building a framework made of pallet rack material we were able to lift the cab up a couple of inches to clear the deck, slide the cab backwards, toward the southern end of the box, past the end of the deck, then lower the cab down to about 2 feet above the floor, a convenient height to work inside and out although we may lower it further to work on the roof.

The wainscoting - both exterior (vertical) and interior (horizontal), will require only minimal patching. That which is across the ends is under the hoods, so it was never painted. Interestingly, on one end, there are some runs of very old, possibly first-generation light olive green paint. Could this have been a primer as it seems too light to be the dark color seen in the 1907 photograph? However, it may give us a clue to the tone, e.g. olive, of the paint. Another interesting thing we found was that the end wainscot was of various widths while that which showed (the sides) was all the same width. Like the deck boards, they must have made maximum use of the material they had. (The wood for the wainscot, unlike most passenger cars of the time, was made of fir rather than poplar.)

Window opening and interior wainscot

Wiring for the cab. We have traced the wiring in the cab which consists of lights, heat, compressor, portable headlight, and the feed from the circuit breakers down to the controllers. It all was rubber-cotton-covered flexible copper as was all the rest of the wiring in the locomotive. There are also traces of other circuits, some cut-off wires, marks where staples have been pulled and traces of brass name tags.

Some of the wiring in the cab

This wiring will be replaced in-kind with new type RHW, rubber insulated, cotton-covered flexible wire. This has been standard in 4175 and 639. The original was gray but the current production seems to be only in gray, which was used by some trolley builders. It is still made as telephone power system wire by the American Insulated Wire Co. (AIW) in Providence, Rhode Island. This will also be used for all control and motor wiring except for the flexible leads (about 4 ft.) leading to the motors. The wiring that is in place had been patched a number of times although there is no evidence of any fires.

Paint - There are many layers of paint on the cab, especially on the exterior. This has served well to at least keep that part of the locomotive preserved. The color that is apparent now is a sort of "forest green", but this was done by SERy, using house paint, before we had done any research. The coat below that was Sherwin-Williams "R & B" Utility Paint which we purchased at $2.98 per gallon and applied in the 1950s.

We need to know the history of the paint on the locomotive as well as what the first colors were. This will be done by Building Conservation of Dedham, MA. We will get an analysis of the exterior wainscot as well as the sash. We will then have to decide which scheme applies to the era we are representing. The maroon and cream color scheme was only on the locomotive for a short period of time so we do not feel it represents the most significant period for 100.

Because it is so uneven and rough, it would be impossible to apply yet more paint and primer over the exciting material so it will have to be removed.

The wainscot and most of the area from the tops of the windows down is sort of maroon but under that coat appears to be cream. SERy repainted about 3/4 of the ceiling and above the windows white, something which was never there before. It appears to be gray. Hopefully, the analysis will provide us with the information we require.

Except for some sample areas, we will scrape off most of the paint and brush-paint primer and finish enamel, possibly using Fine Paints of Europe's Dutchlac.

Floor finish - There is absolutely no indication of any paint being applied to the floor of the locomotive or under the hoods. We don't have any of the original deck boards so don't know what was done there. We will have to do something, very likely a penetrating sealer/preservative that will be nearly invisible but will keep moisture out of the wood. The same concern applied to the sills, the tops of which will be vulnerable.

Sash and Doors - Of the sash, without a very careful examination, it appears that eight of the ten will require little repair while one has warped so badly it will have to be remade. It appears that originally all ten had one piece of glass but later they were divided horizontally into two panes. We will probably go back to the single piece of DSB glass. One of the doors also had had a home-made divider in its sash. The hardware appears to be hardware-store variety but probably was in the locomotive for a long time so, if it works, it can be re-used.

flooring to one of the doors

The sash was raised by lifting up on a leather tab that was held on with a small bronze casting. Some are missing and will have to be cast. There are a few of the anti-rattle springs left so the missing springs will also need to be made.

We are uncertain of the final colors. Different colors appear during various eras. Little contrast between sash and body colors is apparent in the 1907 print but from the mid-20s-on the colors seem to be different in some eras. (They must have painted 100 quite often!) Again, paint analysis will be needed to help determine our choices.

Stove - There are two images looking through the cab door, each of which definitely shows a small pot-bellied coal stove. There is also a very simple open-topped smoke jack on the roof. We also found coal in cracks behind where the stove rested When 100 came to SERy in 1949 the smoke jack was in place but nobody can remember if there was a stove. It should be possible to replace it. We can't find evidence of a coal bin so probably they just used a bucket. (hod?).

Pot-bellied stove circa
1948 - Sanford

Other cab furnishings - The cab is quite simply furnished. In addition to the controllers and brake valves, there is a cabinet with a hinged-top desk and a small fixed seat to it. The cabinet is apparently original; the desk is home-made and the seat is cut down from the front bench of an open car with plain boards for the actual seat.

Home-made seat

There are two electric heaters, two GE Type MR circuit breakers and a GE ML air compressor governor.

Heater

Control - The locomotive was originally equipped with two GE K28F controllers but these were replaced with GE K35Gs very likely because the K28s could not take the load. Because there is no line breaker, all the load is broken within the controller, a difficult task for a K28 with its primitive blow-out system. Unfortunately, during 100s five years at the SERy Terminal operation, one of the controllers was stolen, the wires simply being sawed off at the floor. Fortunately, this was done in such a way that there were no electrical shorts and the locomotive continued to operate for some time thereafter until the brakes failed. Dan Cohen and Paul Kochs brought in a controller from the recently scrapped Boston center-entrance sand car 6309. We may use it, however, it is equipped with a rachet switch for controlling a line switch. This doesn't change the way it would operate in 100. We have checked the inventory and find there are ten other K-35s in various conditions but none as good as the one from 6309.

Controller K-35G2

Although both controllers, upon cursory inspection, appear to be in good condition, many of their copper segments and fingers will require renewal, as well as cleaning and adjusting.

Grids - The resistor grids (six banks of Westinghouse 8-in. 3-point type) are in excellent condition and will require virtually no work unless we choose to de-rust and paint their end frames.

Motors - ASL-100 is equipped with four GE-80A 40-hp. traction motors, very likely the ones that came with it over 100 years ago. 100 operated into the Museum's Town House Restoration Shop "box" under its own power on October 21, 2006. The cab was then removed from the deck, the wires to the motors were cut, the deck jacked up to the height of about five feet; then the trucks were pulled out from under the deck by the Pettibone. The trucks went out back on the tail track, back through the bus box, on track one, out into the yard, then they were pushed on to the pit on track three.

It was necessary to put the motors over the pit because of where the way the bolts are located on the GE80 motors, access is gained from underneath. Fortunately, the bolts are all the same size - 1 1/8 in. using a 1 7/8 socket. Most of the bolts for the axle caps came off readily although a 2-foot pipe extension place over the rachet handle helped a lot. For those bolts which didn't cooperate, the oxy-acetylene torch was called in to heat the offending nut red hot to assist in their removal. (these nuts and bolts are not heat-treated, so the extra heating for removal does not affect their strength) The axle caps and the gear cases were quite heavy and required the use of the transmission jack to keep them from dropping to the pit floor and allowed for lowering them to a convenient height for them to then be carried out from the pit.

In each axle cap was the lower half of the large bronze motor suspension (or "axle") bearing. The other half remained held in place on the axle by the weight of the motor.

Dean Look came back with the Pettibone, lifted each motor and carried it outside; then around the outside of the shop and placed the motors in the bus box. (Bus Curator Tom Santarelli has kindly allowed the use of the bus box as the temporary truck and motor shop for the winter)

Because cars had been displaced from the Shop by the occupation of the pit track with the trucks, the trucks were pulled outside and pushed temporarily on to track two. Unfortunately, it was raining so the pristine axle bearing seats (2 per axle) got wet. The next morning, before any rusting could commence, Texaco Rustproofing Compound "L" was brushed on.

In order to be able to pick up the motors or components thereof, it was necessary to have a hoist. The "Tebbetts" steel-framed hoist was out in the main hall but was too wide to fit with the clearance limitations entering the box. So, Bill Pollman and Dean Look cut off an unnecessary overhanging end of the top beam and reconfigured one of the angle braces from the outside to the inside. Then Chuck Griffith, with the Pettibone at the maximum lift, picked the hoist up and set it down spanning track one where it could then be wheeled into the box. Then the trucks were rolled into the box.

Disassembly - The first job in preparing these motors to be sent to A. C. Electric, where they will be given preventative maintenance, was to make A. C. Electric's life easier. Principally, that involves loosening all the bolts and opening the motors up.

Inverted and opened GE-80A traction motor
armature bearing caps and pinion still installed.

GE-80 motors are the "split-frame" type in which the bottom half of the motor can swing down while the motor is still attached to the railway vehicle. By removing the saddles which support each end of the armature, it too can be removed, allowing the rest of the motor to remain in place under the railway vehicle.

We discovered that many of 100's motor bolts had not been turned for the better part of a century so many bolts required the "gas wrench" which broke the rust "bond", after which many bolts could be turned by the use of the 1 7/8 in. socket with an extension added. Some required the use of a "slugging" wrench and others had to be cut off. In this case, if great care is used with the cutting torch, the nut only is destroyed and the threads on the bolt remain untouched. 

The motor bolts are square-headed that fit into the square area around the various holes to keep them from turning when the nut is loosened from below. If this were not the case, it would be very awkward to hold the bolt without a second person. Due to 100's leaky deck, water and dirt and possibly salt accumulated on top of the bolts which led to the bolt heads having major corrosion issues. In addition, the water traveled between the bolt shaft and the motor casing causing rusting which swelled the diameter of the bolts making some of them nearly impossible to drive out even with a 10-lb sledgehammer.

The hinges that hold the motor halves together are a pair of special eye bolts with a steel pin as the pivot. Most of these required a lot of heat to loosen. One broke on what turned out to be an old fracture. It will require a new length of threaded rod to be welded to it so it will be long enough.

It was necessary to loosen the two nuts per filed pole piece (8 per motor). Many of those on the bottom half were extremely difficult to remove because they had rusted considerably more than those on the top. Doug Carrier was invaluable wielding wrenches and the sledgehammer during this "body-building" process!

We are also scraping off the thick layers of grease-crater-dirt mix that has accumulated over the outside of the cases, removing the large squirrel nest from inside and cleaning up the armature bearing caps. Doug spent many hours sandblasting them. All bolts and nuts then had their threads chased so they could be readily threaded by hand, greatly easing motor re-assembly. To prevent further corrosion, all were then painted with gray Awlgrip epoxy primer followed by a coat of Jet Black Awlgrip enamel. We will put Neverseize on the threads and the shank of the bolts so they will not get stuck again.

We will turn off the severely corroded bolt heads and weld on square nuts, machine them down to the same dimensions as the original heads were.

On motors 2 and 3, the armature bearing caps on their commutator ends had a long-standing crack which will have to be nickel-welded. It is interesting that the cracks formed on that end which has less strain than the gear ends.

Gears and pinions - On one end of the motor armature shaft (the "gear" or "pinion" end, as it is called) is a small gear (15 teeth in this case) which is shrunk on to the tapered end of the shaft. There is a keyway on the shaft and a matching one on the inside of the pinion. On the end of the shaft, which has a short threaded section, is the large (about 3 1/4 in.) pinion nut, held in place by a washer with "ears" that could be bent over the sides of the nut to keep the nut from turning. The pinion should have been installed by expanding its diameter slightly by heating it in boiling water, then putting it on the very clean armature shaft and hammering it home with a heavy lead hammer.

In order to remove the gear-end armature bearings, it was necessary to remove the pinion, where we discovered how badly they were worn (see below). We have a couple of vintage pinion pullers just the right size for this sized pinion. These basically are a collar-shaped tool that just fits over the pinion teeth with two 1-inch rods extending out away from the motor (when installed for pulling), parallel with the shaft, a thick forged steel bar across both rods with a 1 1/2 inch diameter screw which goes into the center-hole at the end of the shaft. By tightening up the screw against the end of the shaft and applying a heavy blow against the outer end of the screw, the pinion is supposed to come off. Here's what we found:

Motor 1 - pinion cannot be m0ved. The forged bar of the puller cracked. It will now be necessary to use another (overhauled now by Dean Look) puller and very judiciously apply some heat to expand the pinion slightly without removing its temper. This was tried on December 30, using a propane burner. Again, no luck. The second puller broke, this time with a stripped bolt. (Don Landry has offered to see if the machine shop where he works and which has a 100-ton puller, will pull it off. Dick Avy has offered to take it down and back to Don's work.

Motor 2 - pinion fell off. Loose on the shaft, held on only by the nut and kept from turning by the key which had beaten the shaft keyway up by the pinion's motion on the shaft. The tapered part of the shaft was covered with old oil indicating it had been loose for some time.

Motor 3 - pinion came off with considerable effort.

Motor 4 - pinion came off with almost no effort.

The pinions and gears are in good, t, first-class condition, and the pinions will be reinstalled on the shafts after the motors return from their preventative maintenance make-over.  The shafts will be smoothed down and the fit checked by applying bluing die to see how well the pinion matches the shaft.

Some interesting date on the pinions - (No. 1 is still on the shaft)
No. 1 Nuttail
No. 2 Made January 1917 - other numbers 28287H 6464, Made by General Electric is slightly worn - the edges of the teeth are slightly rounded over.
No. 3  Made August 1925 - Made by Tool Steel "CINTI" - No. 8385
No. 4 Made in the USA by GE 2838 7M 223-2269

100's speed - We checked the gear ratio of 100. The pinions have 15 teeth and the gears have 71 teeth for a ratio of .211. According to Richey's Electric Railway Handbook, the GE 80 motor is rated at 40 hp at .510 R.P.M. With 33-inch wheels this gives a top speed of about 10 1/2 mph, not a "speed demon" but good for what it did, which was mainly shifting in the mill yeard. At its maximum safe armature speed of 1,840 R.P.M., 100 could go a respectable 37.9 M.P.H.

One of ASL-100 wheels.

Gear cases - Each set of gear and pinion is enclosed in a cast malleable iron gear case. This is made os an upper half which is bolted to the top half of the motor by three large bolts. Most of these were badly corroded in place and required an amount of "heating and beating" (and some cutting) to remove it. The lower half is meant to be dropped, if necessary, in the pit and is held to the upper case by two of the above bolts. All cases are in excellent condition with no dents or leaks as are commonly found in others, especially the sheet metal type as weight considerations become more important.

Some indication of speed possibilities for the GE-80 motors can be found in the listing of different gear cases in the February 1928 parts catalog. 100's has the largest gear: 71 teeth, meaning its the slowest speed. Since the gear centers are fixed as the number of gear teeth is increased, it is necessary to increase the number of pinion teeth, to as many as 27 teeth. These would be used on a high-speed interurban.

Axle collars - these all appear to be in good condition only needing cleaning and checking of clamping and adjusting bolts.

Restoring the hardware - In order to make reassembly of the motor possible, it was necessary to make sure that every nut goes on every bolt easily and smoothly. So the bolts and nuts were put into the degreaser to remove the layers of crater and crud. Then a die was run over each bolt's threads and a tap run through the threads of each nut. In more than a few cases this required considerable effort. After the threads were chased and the nuts turned readily on them, everything was sandblasted, primed with Awlgrip 545 gray epoxy primer followed by a coat of their Jet Black enamel. This should cut down on rusting within the motor shell. Never-seize will also be applied to all the bolt threads when the motors are finally assembled.

The bearing situation - Axle bearings - we were pleasantly surprised to find the axle (motor suspension) bearings were in excellent condition with minimal wear. These bearings are split into two halves. This is due to the fact it would be impossible to get a circular bearing around the axle after the wheel has been pressed onto the axle. In these older motors, the split horizontal, meaning the wear is almost entirely in the top half. Wear is gauged by looking under the axle where the size of the space between the bearing and the axle. In this case, these bearings are solid bronze (un-babbitted) and have openings in the top and in the bottom through which the oil-saturated wool waste is forced down against the axle for lubrication. In many cases there are also grooves cut in the bearing surface which conduct the oil from the waste-opening to the flange and near to the end, thus lubricating the entire surface. Some have grooves, some don't.

Some of the bearings are stamped with the manufacturer. J. F. Hodgkins Co., Gardiner, Maine. When we were overhauling Manchester 38 (in the mid-60s) we found the same inscription on some of the bearing and Tom Brigham, who was helping on the project, contacted Mr. Hodgkins, a gentleman who must have been in his 80s, came down and visited Shop 1, where the work was in progress. Subsequently, we purchased axle bearings there until the company ceased operations.

Amature bearings are lined with a soft metal called Babbitt, a lead or tin-based alloy which lines the inside of the bronze bearing shell. Its purpose is to conform to any small irregularities in the armature shaft. We have the feeling that YUCo did an incomplete overhaul of 100's motors and the trucks near the end of its service life, and possibly no longer had the capabilities of re-babbitting the shells. Or they probably didn't want to face the labor of pulling the pinion from the end of the armature shaft in order to remove the bearing on the pinion end.

What we found were extremely worn bearings with clearances of as much as 38 times the recommended specs. The clearance for the 2.75 in. shat is 0.006-0.008 in.. We have measured three of the bearings with the following results:

Motor 1 not measured
Motor 2 Gear end 0.230 in.
Motor 3 Gear end 0.300+ Commutator end 0.160 in.
Motor 4 Gear end 0.130 in. Commutator end 0.090 in.

Our "gauge" when we show this problem to interested visitors, is to shove a screwdriver into the clearance, all the way up to the handle!


Although we have re-babbitted bearings at Seashore in the past, it is a difficult process, so we have been given the name of American Power Service, a company in Georgetown, MA which contracts out to various motor shops to perform this increasingly hard-to-find service. We will leave the bearings installed when the motors are taken to A. C. Electric. This will keep the armature from rubbing on the pole pieces. A. C. electric will then measure shafts and specify the finished bore needed in the re-babbitting. This will bring them back to the proper clearance both radially and axially. A. C. Electric will then bring the bearing back to Seashore for Norman Down to take to APS in Georgetown. Depending on the cost, we may do the finish boring here as that requires only a simple setup on the lathe.

Both the armature and the axle bearings are kept from rotating along with their respective shafts by 3/4 in. steel dowel pins pressed into the bearing caps. Over time, they tend to work slightly within their housings, gradually becoming loose, consequently moving back and forth, elongating the holes in the bearing shell. According to the Wisconsin Utilities Association Standard Maintenance Practices, the shells are supposed to be "oversize to ensure a tight fit in the housing".
       Amature bearings 0.002 in.
       Axle bearings up to and including 5"  Plus 0.015 in. to plus 0.017 in.

We have three options"
  1.        Do nothing knowing that 100 will be a limited operation vehicle.
  2.        Shim the bearings in place with thin pieces of sheet metal.
  3.        Bore out the bearing caps and seat areas in the motor case, and weld in a piece of steel tubing to make up the difference; line-bore the new piece to the proper tolerance as above.
Waste lubrications - both armature and axle bearings are lubricated with oil-saturated 100% wool waste. On these older style motors, the waste is held in"boxes"; one on top of the axle and one below. There is a small slot (about 3/4 in. x 4 in.) in the top and a much wider one in the lower half. Apparently, the designer of the motor intended the lower half should deliver the most lubrication. Unfortunately, in practice, this did not work. Unless the waste was conscientiously forced against the bearing surface frequently, it would tend to fall away from the bearing surface. Although it did bring oil on the top, it was not really as much as on most vehicles. Further, it was difficult to force the wool waste up against the axle because it is like a sink or toilet trap where the snake has to make a "U" turn to get around the bend. Same thing here except the packing irons are nor flexible.

In all cases, the wool waste appears to have life-expired and will be removed and replaced with new wool-waste.

We found with Manchestereter 38  and some of the Connecticut Company cars, that the lower opening was capped off and the lower half of the bearing had no windows. To save wool waste (now about $8/lb.) we probably won't use them.

Further treatment - 
On December 22, 2006, we had a visit with Roger Paradie, shop superintendent of A. C. Electric Corp. in Auburn, ME. His company did the excellent job of rebuilding 303's compressor. Barry Nelson had them do a walk-around visit a couple of years ago when the possibility of the TEA grant began to look better. At that time, of course, 100's motors had not been opened and were not really visible, but it did give AC a better idea of what Seashore had and what we're all about. This time the motors were out on the shop floor, and one was opened so the armature and field coils could easily be seen.

We asked Roger if we were preparing the motors properly for their shop, i.e. by loosening all the bolts and partially disassembling the motors. He assured us this was just what we should be doing as that could easily be the most expensive part of the preventative maintenance. When we send the motors to A. C. Electric, we will install that overhauled bolts without lock washers so they can easily disassemble the motors.

When we have finished our work of preparation on the motors, they will be partially reassembled for the trip and picked up by A. C truck which is in the area every Thursday. In their shop, they will test them electrically, clean them, and ultimately upgrade the insulation resistance in the motors. This may be accomplished by dipping and baking, vacuum-pressure impregnation or some other method to seal out moisture. Currently, the motors have what appears to be original cotton insulation, which, in itself, has very low resistance value or moisture resistance.

The trucks - were made by the American Locomotive Company. Dan Cohen has their period catalog showing similar designs but not the exact trucks. We have the feeling that these trucks were either very rare or possibly a one-shot order. Does anybody else have experience with this type of truck?

In some ways, they are in very good condition. They have steel wheels with good flanges. The treads are getting quite thin and starting to wear a "double-flange" but stay on our rails o.k. and are never going to wear significantly in our service. Initially, we had considered replacing the wheels, but then we realized it would not be worth our while plus they have an old-style ribbed backing that was on the locomotive into the 1920s. The gears are in like-new condition. Interestingly, the gear on the no. 1 axle is split gear, i.e., it can be taken apart in halves and removed from the axle without taking the wheel off the axle. The other three gears are solid and were pressed on the axle before the wheels were pressed on.

Truck detail showing the transom, motor
mount, mount bracket, and the brake-beam
with suspension chain and lots of 
corrosion and crud.

With the trucks out from under the body and the motors removed, it is now possible to examine just what condition the trucks are in. They are complete. The only missing components are the slack adjuster and brake levers that were broken off from one truck and they were laying in the pile of parts. The brake shoes are a large sized shoe for which we have no spares but all have good wear; only one shoe is worn somewhat crooked. The springs are likewise all there. The trucks may be corroded in the spring area. Some of the four full-elliptic bolster leaf springs may be corroded but it is hard to tell without further disassembly.

There is considerable corrosion on everything especially on the transoms which are made from two heavy cross-sections 10-inch channels. Many of the bolts are "necked" down to nothing with corrosion. Wherever two pieces of steel are together, there is corrosion.

The wheel will be removed and set to one side and the truck frames disassembled, cleaned, de-rusted and most of the hardware replaced. Further decisions will await the results of the disassembly.

Where will we store 100 when we are finished with it? One of the provisions in the TEA grant is that we have to provide long-term proper storage. This only makes sense because why would they want to give money to something that rapidly will return to "the dust from whence it was made".

With its open deck ends 100 is especially vulnerable as moisture will get down on to the top of the sills. While we will apply a preventative treatment, they are not likely to be "forever", so proper indoor storage is essential.

At the present time, in this writer's opinion, there is only one proper storage place in the entire museum: the box where 100's body is now and where 1227 was until very recently. The humidity is relatively low and deterioration therein is virtually non-existent. Having recently visited the new storage/display barns at Pennsylvania Trolley Museum and at Western Railway Museum, which are insulated, climate-controlled, and includes a sprinkler system, I have seen what can be done to properly house and protect these historic treasures.

On a day when the temperature rises, the cold steel of the trucks, motors, and underframe is literally streaming with water. Steel corrodes, wood rots, and the cycle begins all over again, this time one step further from the original historic object; to say nothing about the tremendous cost of time, materials, and labor.

Click on: "Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride," to learn about the young reader historical fiction chapter book due for release this fall. Proceeds will benefit the Narcissus Project :)

Please Consider a Donation to the Narcissus Project
to help us tell the incredible story of the Narcissus through the interpretation portion of the Narcissus Project.
Thank You

   Inside the Donald G. Curry Town House Restoration Shop, the Narcissus is in the midst of major work as we strive to complete its restoration. With our estimate to have the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Narcissus in the fall of 2021, we are now planning the interpretation portion of the Narcissus Project. Donations to the Narcissus Project may be used in the future to help tell the incredible 100-plus-year-old story of the Narcissus. Your donation to the Narcissus is helping to make the dream of the project's success, a reality.

The 2015 publication of, The Illustrated Atlas
of Maine's Street & Electric Railways
1863-1946, was published by the Library
at Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunkport.
Copies are available for purchase from the

Seashore Trolley Museum, - Museum of Mass Transit, is celebrating its 80th Birthday year in 2019! 
Special Events are scheduled  - Public operations start on May 4, 2019. 
Click Here for the 2019 Events & Special Activities for the 80th Anniversary Season, with hot links

Click Here for 2019 Special Events 


Click Here for 80th Anniversary Year - Seashore Trolley Museum 1939-2019 post
Click Here for the post - 80th Anniversary Year -A Look Back at the 50s - Seashore Trolley Mus.
Click Here for the post - 80th Anniversary Year - A Look Back at the 60s  - Seashore Trolley Mus.
Click Here for the post - 80th Anniversary Year -A Look Back at the '70s - Seashore Trolley Mus.
Click Here for The Birth of Seashore Trolley Museum Blog Post
Click Here for STM's Ten National Register of Historic Places Electric Railway Vehicles post
Click Here for 1901 Tower C Boston Elevated Railway to STM in 1975
Click Here for No. 38 - 1906 Manchester & Nashua Street Railway - Acquired March 21, 1940
Click Here for No. 60 - 1895 Manchester Street Railway - Acquired April 11, 1941
Click Here for No. 4387 - 1918 Eastern Mass. Street Railway - Acquired August 29, 1946
Click Here for No. 100 - 1906 Atlantic Shore Line Railway - Acquired 1949
Click Here for No. 108 - 1904 Portsmouth, Dover & York Street Railway - Acquired 1949
Click Here for No. 14 Narcissus 1912 Portland-Lewiston Interurban - Acquired 1969

See below for Donation options -

It starts with YOU
Your Donation Matters
Make a Donation TODAY

Please Help the Narcissus. 

Donation Options to Help the Narcissus Project:


The New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
is the 501c3 organization that owns and operates the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME and the National Streetcar
The NEERHS is registered with the IRS (EIN# 01-0244457) and was incorporated in Maine in 1941.

Check or Money Order ***** should be made payable to:
New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
In the memo please write: Narcissus Fund 816-A
Mail to: Seashore Trolley Museum
              P. O. Box A
              Kennebunkport, ME 04046

Credit Card ***** donations can be a one-time donation or you
may choose to have a specific amount charged to your card
automatically on a monthly basis. Please contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5.

Online Donations - may be made by using a Credit Card: 
Click Here to make an online donation through the Museum's website - When at the Donation page: Fill in donor info, etc., when at "To which fund are you donating? Scroll down to "Other" and type in: 816-A Narcissus, then continue on filling in the required information.

Click Here for PayPal - to make an online donation: you can use email: finance@NEERHS.org and in the message box write:
For Narcissus fund 816-A

Donation of Securities ***** We also accept donations of
securities. You can contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5,
for brokerage account information for accepting donated securities.

BONUS ***** If you work for a company/corporation that will
"match" an employee's donation to an approved 501c3 non-profit
educational organization, please be sure to complete the necessary paperwork with your employer so that your donation is matched :)

Questions? ***** Please contact Narcissus project manager:
Phil Morse, pmorse31@gmail.com or call 207-985-9723 - cell.

Thank You :)

Thank You for our Current Funding Partners
20th Century Electric Railway Foundation - 2018 - Major Gift, 2017/2014 Matching Grants
Mass Bay RRE - 2018 Railroad Preservation Grant 
Thornton Academy (Saco, ME) - Staff & Alumni - Matching Grant Challenge 2014
New England Electric Railway Historical Society (Kennebunkport, ME) - Member Donations
Amherst Railway Society - 2015 Heritage Grant
National Railway Historical Society - 2016 & 2015 Heritage Preservation Grants
Enterprise Holding Foundation - 2015 Community Grant
Theodore Roosevelt Association - Member Donations
John Libby Family Association and Member Donations
* The Conley Family - In Memory of Scott Libbey 2018/2017/2016/2015
* The W. S. Libbey Family - Awalt, Conley, Graf, Holman, Libbey, McAvoy, McLaughlin, Meldrum, O'Halloran, Salto, - 2018/2017
* The Hughes Family 2017/2016/2010
New Gloucester Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Public Library Association - Pat Barter Speaker Series
* LogMein - Matching Employee Donation
* IBM - Matching Employee/Retiree Donations
* Fidelity Charitable Grant - Matching Employee Donations
* Richard E. Erwin Grant - 2017/2016

The Narcissus, with interior back-lit, stained glass windows are majestic.
Make a donation today to help restore the interior of this Maine gem.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track! Once restored,
you will be able to ride in luxury on this National Register Treasure at
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.
PWM photo

Please Consider Making a Donation to the project of the National Register of Historic Places member, Narcissus. We are currently raising funds to tell the incredible story of this Maine gem.

Various News stories during the summer of 2015 about the
Narcissus and its connection to Theodore Roosevelt. TR
was a passenger on the Narcissus on August 18, 1914.

Click Here to See the list of All Previous Blog Posts - Index

The Narcissus - July 31, 2015. Make a donation today.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track!
Once restored, you will be able to ride in luxury on this
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment