Saturday, March 31, 2018

The Portland-Lewiston Interurban 1910-1933: Lewiston Public Library Presentation 4-10-2018

No. 14, Narcissus, of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban (PLI) and an
Androscoggin & Kennebec Railway (A&K) Birney trolley in Union Square,
Lewiston, Maine on April 6, 1933. The PLI ended service on June 29, 1933.
The Narcissus is the only surviving high-speed, luxury interurban coach
from the PLI. The Narcissus is currently under restoration at
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME.
Image from DGC/ORC slide.

This post is the companion to the slide presentation that will be done by Phil Morse as a guest speaker at the Lewiston Public Library (the presentation includes Donald Curry presenting on the restoration of the Narcissus currently underway at Seashore Trolley Museum) will be made at the Lewiston Public Library on Tuesday, April 10, 2018, at 12 p.m.


Lewiston Public Library poster promoting
the PLI presentation.

Lunch while learning about the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
in the beautiful Callahan Hall in the Lewiston Public Library. 
PWM

James and Robert Greenwood's father, Forest Greenwod was
 a motorman for the Portland-Lewiston Interurban out of
the Lewiston terminal. Forest would become a motorman
at Seashore Trolley Museum. James is holding his father's
trolley museum motorman hat with member number 301
 hat badge. Robert is holding his father's trolley museum
ticket punch and a strip of A & K Railway tickets.
Photo courtesy of John Mercurio

W. S. Libbey was the builder of the
Portland-Lewiston Interurban. Two of his
great grandchildren, Paul Libbey and Lee Holman
attended the presentation. Mark and Lee are seen
here next to James and Robert Greenwood.
James and Robert's father was a motorman for
the Portland-Lewiston Interurban.
Photo courtesy of John Mercurio.

Donald Curry answers
questions following his
portion of the presentation.
PWM

The images and text are from various sources, including some that belong to Phil Morse. Other sources will be noted. Much of the text and many of the images were drawn from various books released by O. R. Cummings. O. R. wrote more than fifty books on electric railway systems throughout New England. O. R. passed away early in 2013. He was a member/volunteer at the New England Electric Railway Historical Society (Seashore Trolley Museum) starting in 1947, serving as its historian for many, many years. O. R was a personal friend and is dearly missed.

This material is not intended as a comprehensive history of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban or the railway systems that served the Lewiston/Auburn communities from 1881 until 1941. Instead, it was tailored for the Lewiston/Auburn audience attending the public presentation at the Lewiston Public Library on April 10, 2018. Its intent was to show a glimpse of how the Portland-Lewiston Interurban and its employees were important to the communities of Lewiston & Auburn in the early 1900s and to let them know that one of these majestic PLI interurbans, the Narcissus, was saved and is currently being restored at Seashore Trolley Museum.

The Portland-Lewiston Interurban 1910-1933

The Portland-Lewiston Interurban (PLI) operated in Lewiston and Auburn from 1914, until 1933 and carried a total of 7.3. million passengers traveling between Portland and Lewiston. Serving the communities of Lewiston, Auburn, New Gloucester, Gray, West Cumberland, West Falmouth, and Portland. Operating over some 30 miles of well ballasted private right-of-way and trackage rights into both Portland and Lewiston. The PLI was special, a jewel that was cherished by its employees and patrons alike.

  The early years of railways in the Lewiston/Auburn communities began with the Lewiston & Auburn Horse Railroad opening along Lisbon Street and on to the Fairgrounds on September 3, 1881. The tracks were extended to Turner Street (1882) and on to Lake Auburn in 1883. Just prior to electrification, there were nearly 15 miles of trackage.

Electrification started with Main & Lisbon Streets on September 1, 1894, with the balance completed in both cities in 1895. The line through to Sabattus Village was opened on September 26, 1898. The Auburn Heights line, Minot, Western, Granite, Davis, and Gammage Streets opened on July 24, 1902. The expansion continued under a number of railway consolidations over the years.

Androscoggin County Buildings, Auburn.
Postcard postmark August 21, 1907, from PWM

In 1910, only about 10% of the population had electricity in their homes. The early electric power companies' major revenue source was from contracts with cities to provide electricity to light their main streets, with the electric railway companies, and with the manufacturing industries.


Left. Lisbon Street by night, Lewiston. Postcard postmarked February 15, 1919, from PWM
Above, Middle Street Portland,. Postcard postmarked November 5, 1909, from PWM.


The heart of the Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway, 1907-1919
(became the Androscoggin & Kennebec Railway 1919), was Hulett Square,
at the intersection of Main and Lisbon Streets in Lewiston. A
Waterville-bound trolley car is shown turning into Lisbon Street (left),
while a trolley car from Bath waits in front of the waiting room.
Image from PWM.

A photograph of an unknown motorman of the
Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway
(LA&W).  The LA&W 1907-1919. PWM
     Early in the 1900s, a passenger could board a trolley and travel between Lewiston and Portland by electric railways via Brunswick. The passenger would have to change trolleys twice (at Brunswick & again at Yarmouth). The total travel time from Lewiston to Portland would be about three and one-half hours and cost 65 cents one way.

One side of a reprinted map, circa 1910, "Trolleying through the Heart of
Maine." Distributed by the Portland Railroad and the Lewiston, Augusta, &
Waterville Street Railway. Note, there is no route shown for the
Portland-Lewiston Interurban. Map from STM/PWM

The back of the promotional handout with destinations and prices for
trolley trips with the Portland Railroad and the Lewiston, Augusta
& Waterville Street Railway. From STM/PWM

In 1905, there were two competing companies organized to build a more direct electric railway line between Lewiston and Portland. Fortunately, the two interests were friendly and they decided to combine to form a single charter that was approved in 1907.  

     The Portland, Gray & Lewiston Railroad was chartered from the consolidation of these two competing charters. The electric power for the new electric railroad would be supplied by the Lewiston & Auburn Electric Light Company. The Electric Light Company was co-owned by Winfield Scott Libbey, a prominent Lewiston businessman and philanthropist, and his partner, Henry M. Dingley. With the initial incorporators unable to secure the $1 million in capitalization to start construction and operations, Libbey and Dingley took control of the company early in 1910.

W. S. Libbey

Where Libbey & Dingley became friends in the later 1870s. Corner of
Main & Lisbon Streets - Western Union office was downstairs and
Dingley's office was upstairs in the "Journal" building.
The downstairs is currently J. Dostie Jewelers. PWM

Caricature of W. S. Libbey from the
1907, Lewiston Journal series,
Verse." from the Maine State Library
Special Collections,
digitalmaine repository.

     The  transcription reads:
                                                  HON. W. S. LIBBEY OF LEWISTON.
          
                                                  The man who dares-that's what they say,
                                                  And dares and wins most any day.
                                                  But well he might -- tho Rips come deer--
                                                  They bring in something every year.
                                                  The mills, they run in our emporium
                                                  And bring to Bates an auditorium.
                                                  Tho quickly climbed, this ladder of fame--
                                                  The climb was not so very tame.
                                                  He lost and won; with equal zest
                                                  Went shooting clays for quiet and rest.
                                                  The soul of truth, with lots of fight,
                                                  He hustles to win, but hustles right.

The Libbey-Dingley Dam at the Deer Rips on the Androscoggin River.
Above transcription reference (- tho Rips come deer-).
Postcard from PWM

The Libbey-Dingley Company's purchase of the Lincoln Mill came with the
water rights to the Androscoggin River. That opened the door for 
Libbey to generate electricity. He and Dingley purchased the 
American Light & Power Company, and consolidated it with the
Auburn Electric Company. Later, this would become the Androscoggin
Electric Company. Above transcription reference (The mills, they run in
our emporium) Image from the collection of Lewiston Public Library,
Maine Memory Network.

Libbey Forum at Bates College. Above transcription reference
(And bring to Bates an auditorium). Postcard from PWM

At his farm in Wayne, ME, with four friends (L-R) Stern, Cobb, Day, and
Hunnewell, and W. "Scott" Libbey, with son Harold, in front. Libbey 
practiced shooting with his shotgun, hence the above transcription
reference  (Went shooting clays for quiet and rest).
Image from "W. S. Libbey: The Man and His Mill."
W. S. Libbey's wife, Annie (center) with daughter Alla (left)
and son W. S. "Scott" Libbey, Jr. in a family photo probably
taken by W. S. Libbey. Image courtesy of Paul Libbey
(son of W. S. "Scott" Libbey, Jr.)

     The above caricature of Libbey has a sketch of Libbey driving his very rare, Stanley Steamer while wearing goggles and seemingly racing as he makes the turn from the back of his leg. The above transcription reference (He lost and won; with equal zest) speaks to how Libbey approached his business endeavors, as well as living his life.

The Finest Electric Railroad in All New England

W. S. Libbey drove his very rare Stanley Motor Coach
Company, K 30-hp Semi-Racer. Only 25 of these cars were
ever built. Only three survive today. Libby's is among the
Mount Desert Island, Maine. For the fact that it has not
been restored, it might be the most valuable
Stanly in the world. Image from the Portland-
Lewiston Interuban Employees Scrapbook which
is among the collection of the NEERHS Library.

     The first sod of earth was turned over by the construction superintendent, Samuel Ferguson, near Littlefield’s Corner, Auburn at 1:13 p.m. on the afternoon of Thursday, April 7, 1910. By that fall, the grading had been done through New Gloucester to Gray. In 1911, construction started at the Portland end at Deering Junction and proceeded to Gray.

Image from the Portland-Lewiston Interurban Employees Scrapbook
which is among the collection of the NEERHS Library.

Harold's gang refers to Mrs. Helen C. Libbey's husband,
Harold S. Libbey, son of W. S. Libbey. Mrs. Libbey is
seen here in the upper right with daughter, Eleanor. The Libbeys
would camp out along the route during its construction.
Harold, who graduated from MIT, would write letters
to his father with updates on the progress. Harold
also created maps with precise measurements of
elevations and grade of the line. Image from the
Portland-Lewiston Interurban Employees Scrapbook which
is among the collection of the NEERHS Library.

1911-1912 - Tower wagon used to run the messenger wire (telephone) and
trolley wire along the right-of-way. This work was done in advance of the
rails and crossties being placed.  O.R. Cummings 1967 book,
"Maine's Fast Electric Railroad: Portland-Lewiston Interurban."

Image from the Portland-Lewiston Interurban Employees Scrapbook
which is among the collection of the NEERHS Library.

     A dozen concrete bridges were built. The two longest bridges were each 110-feet in length, spanning the Presumpscot River (Portland/Falmouth) and the Little Androscoggin River in Auburn. There were also fifty cattle crossing tunnels built along the nearly 30-mile line.

From O. R. Cummings 1967 book,
"Maine's Fast Electric Railroad -
 Portland-Lewiston Interurban."

Near Littlefield's, Auburn - Grand Trunk Railroad, PLI, and highway
bridges cross the Little Androscoggin River. The highway bridge in the
background was replaced in 1937. From O. R. Cummings 1967 book,
"Maine's Fast Electric Railroad - Portland-Lewiston Interurban."

A progress report in the Lewiston Sun of July 18, 1912, indicated that the track had been laid all the way from Deering Junction to West Cumberland and the overhead over the entire line was nearing completion. The Portland carhouse-terminal construction would start August 1, 1912. The high tension line from Deer Rips plant of the Lewiston & Auburn Electric Company to the PG & L substations was in place during summer 1912 (see original artifact piece of copper tension line on display).

An original piece of the PLI copper high tension line
from Deer Rips plant. This piece was used for testing
the tensile strength of the line. This was a gift from
Paul Libbey, grandson of W. S. Libbey, Sr. PWM

Lewiston Carhouse Terminal was built in 1912.
From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban employees
Scrapbook which is among the collection of the
NEERHS Library.

Interior view the Lewiston carhouse with many of the beautiful
interurbans inside. From the Portland- Lewiston Interuban Employees
Scrapbook which is among the collection of the NEERHS Library.

From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban Employees
Scrapbook which among the collection of the
NEERHS Library.

Porcelain advertising tile was attached to each ticket booth. 
From O. R. Cummings Collection at NEERHS Library.

Map showing the PLI system in the Lewiston and Auburn.
From the NEERHS 2015 book, "The Illustrated Atlas of
Maine's Street & Electric Railways 1863-1946."

     Construction Delays 1912/1913 - A feud in the construction camp near Littlefield’s, one of the workmen, Vincenzio Jamari, was stabbed fatally by a fellow worker. During the investigation, about ten others from the camp were confined to the Auburn city jail for a few days.

Heavy rains during spring and fall 2013 caused delays.



From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban Employees Scrapbook which is
among the collection of the NEERHS Library.

From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban Employees Scrapbook which
is among the collection of the NEERHS Library.

The line was of substantial construction - as well as many steam
railroads. This is through Chandler's Woods near New Gloucester. Trolley
poles are on the right and high tension lines are on the left. From O. R.
Cummings 1967 book, " Maine's Fast electric Railroad -
 Portland-Lewiston Interurban."

Rolling stock was produced by some of the nation's leading car builders.
Laconia Car Company (Laconia, NH) and Wason Manufacturing
(Springfield, MA). Here is No. 16, Clematis, prepared for shipment from
the Laconia Car Company in 1912.  ORC/DGC Slide Collection.

Modern methods of power generation and distribution were used.
From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban employees Scrapbook
which is among the collection of NEERHS Library.

     Consolidation of the Libbey-Dingley electric light and railroad properties into a single corporation was planned for in 1913 when a new charter was approved for the Androscoggin Electric Company in March 1913, but no action was taken until 1914. This did not include any of the other Libbey-Dingley businesses, i.e. mills, etc.

The PLI vehicles were required to call the dispatcher in the Lewiston terminal when entering or leaving the right-of-way. In Auburn, the right-of-way ended and the physical connection with the Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway (LA& W) system began. In Portland, the right-of-way ended at Deering Junction for the physical connection with the Portland Railroad (PRR) systemEach of the substations/terminals also had phones connected to the PLI telephone system. The dispatcher was located in the Lewiston terminal. Each PLI railway vehicles also had an emergency portable phone (see the display for an actual phone).

The PLI phone booth at Fairview Junction in
Auburn. One was on each end of the right-of-way
where the operator would need to call the
dispatcher in the Lewiston terminal for orders.

PLI phone booth at Deering Junction, Portland.

     By May 15, 1914, the Interurban was practically ready to run.

Map of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban shows
the direct route between Lewiston and Auburn
compared to the more obtuse angular route that
trolleys traveled between the cities prior.
From O. R. Cummings 1967 book,
"Maine's Fast Electric Railroad -
Portland-Lewiston Interurban."

Distances between the various locations that a PLI
vehicle might use. The large high-speed interurbans
during "limited" designated trips would make very few
scheduled stops. The "local" service stops might use a
large interurban but mostly used one of the two smaller
standard streetcars. In addition, there were freight
service vehicles that might be used for milk pick
up, light freight, etc. From the NEERHS 2015 book,
"The Illustrated Atlas of Maine's Street & Electric
Railways 1863-1946.

From the NEERHS 2015 book, "The Illustrated Atlas
of Maine's Street & Electric Railways 1863-1946.

From the NEERHS 2015 book, "The Illustrated Atlas of
Maine's Street & Electric Railways 1863-1946.

May 17, 1914, W. S. Libbey died suddenly in his 63rd year. The name of the
Portland, Gray & Lewiston Railroad was changed to the Portland-Lewiston
Railroad on July 10, 1914, just eight days after the official opening of the line.
In October, a syndicate acquired the capital stock of the electric light and
railroad properties and the charter of the Androscoggin Electric Company.
The Androscoggin Electric Company was formally organized later
in October. Central Maine Power (CMP) would acquire the company
in 1920 and close the PLI in mid-1933.


No. 10, Arbutus with Lewiston Terminal personnel. L-R, two unidentified
men, R. G. Weeks, master mechanic, Guy W. Mitchell, barn foreman;
H. L. Wright, Mrs. Lucy Card Matthews, E. J. Chateauvert, Milan H.
Spinney, Charles E. Kenniston, L. R. Penny, June 29, 1914.
The Laconia-built interurbans included; No. 10 Arbutus, No. 12
Gladiolus, No. 14 Narcissus, No. 16 Clematis.

Incredible interior of the Laconia-built
interurban coaches. Here is the Arbutus interior
of mahogany with inlay of ebony/holly/ebony,
gold leaf fleur-de-lis in the ceiling panels, green
mohair plush-covered seats, interlocking
rubber-tile in the center and smoking compartment
floors. ORC/DGC slides.

The Narcissus interior prior to the
beginning of restoration in
mid-2015. DGC photo.

August 18, 1914, Theodore Roosevelt  from the number 2 end of the
Narcissus, waves to gathered spectators in Gray, Maine. TR was again a
passenger on a PLI coach on August 31, 1916, when he was traveling from
Portland to Lewiston. Photo courtesy of the Gray Historical Society.

August 19, 1914 Lewiston Daily Sun. The last
sentence in the first paragraph states that TR
then boarded the special car Narcissus for Portland.

1914 - The Narcissus may be the interurban behind these men?
It is a Laconia-built coach (the train door handle set-up is different
on the Wason-built coaches). From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
Employees Scrapbook which is among the collection of NEERHS Library.

No. 10 Arbutus at Lewiston terminal.
From O. R. Cummings 1967 book, "Maine's
Fast Electric Railroad - Portland-Lewiston
Interurban."

No. 16 Clematis. Photo NEERHS Collection

No. 12 Gladiolus at the Lewiston terminal 1914.
From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban collection of the
NEERHS Library.

Wason-built, No. 18 Azalea to pick up a
passenger at Marston Corner, Auburn. From
O. R. Cummings 1967 book, "Maine's Fast
Electric Railroad - Portland- Lewiston Interurban."

1920, when the Wason-built No. 22 Maine was new. Seen here at
Maple Point, Auburn. 1920, the State of Maine's Centennial. During 1920
the PLI carried 531,440 passengers with revenue of $232,581. Freight &
Express revenue was $28,684. The total net profit for the year was
$82,236. ORC/DGC slide.

Here is the Arbutus with crew and guests of
the final passenger trip. Including, Gertrude
Libbey Anthony, daughter of W. S. Libbey. 
From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
Employees Scrapbook which is among the
collection of NEERHS Library.

The Gladiolus was actually the very last interurban over the line. It was
deadheaded back to Lewiston during the forenoon on Jun 29, 1933, and that
night, at Lewiston, the employees of the interurban officially closed the line
at a farewell dinner. The "boys" drowned their sorrows with the newly-legal
3.2 beer. From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban Employees scrapbook
which is among the collection of NEERHS Library.

No. 20 Magnolia, No. 14 Narcissus, and No. 22 Maine at
the Androscoggin & Kennebec carhouse railyard in Lewiston.
July 29, 1933, or 34.

     In 1933, there was no market for the passenger or freight equipment of the PLI and most of the rolling stock was dismantled at Gray and at the Lewiston carhouse yard of the Androscoggin & Kennebec. At least five of the passenger car bodies were sold to private parties and one complete coach, the Arbutus, was purchased by Mrs. Gertrude Libbey Anthony and moved to her property in Saco, Maine (but was later scrapped in 1946). The body of the Maine became a dinner in Lewiston (and was later scrapped). The body of the Narcissus became a summer camp at Sabattus Pond. The body of the Azalea was located on West Rose Hill, overlooking the Androscoggin River, in Auburn (its whereabouts or use is unknown). The bodies of the two standard passenger trolleys, Nos. 40 & 42, were used as storage buildings in Casco, ME and later travelled to Seashore Trolley Museum where their coupling components were saved and the remains of the bodies were scrapped.

A letter detailing sale of PLI vehicles 1933.
From Collection at Seashore Trolley Museum.

No. 10 Arbutus, was sold to Mrs. Gertrude Libbey Anthony,
daughter of W. S. Libbey. The complete coach, with trucks (wheels,
motors, axles, etc.) was transported to her property in the Bay View
area of Saco, Maine. From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
employees scrapbook which is among the collection of NEERHS
Library.

The Arbutus in 1940, when a memorial to W. S Libbey, on the property of
his daughter, Gertrude Libbey Anthony, in the Bay View area of Saco,
Maine. It was scrapped in 1946. From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
employees scrapbook which is among the collection of NEERHS Library.

No. 22 Maine, became a diner and drinking establishment on
Park Avenue in Lewiston (the Vallees lived next door in the third-floor
apartment, when not living in the Narcissus). From O. R. Cummings
1965 book, "Maine's Fast Electric Railroad - Portland-Lewiston
Interurban."

Pond. From footage of O. R. Cummings Collection
at Northeast Historic Films, Bucksport, ME.

The Narcissus circa 1965 when the summer camp of the J. Henri Vallee
family at Sabattus Pond. Photo coutesy of Daniel Vallee.

Former employees of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban had four annual
reunions in Gray, 1938, 1939, 1940, & 1941. From the Portland-
Lewiston Interurban employees scrapbook which is among the collection of
NEERHS Library.

of the good days of the PLI. From the Portland-
Lewiston Interuban employees scrapbook which is
among the collection of NEERHS Library.

From the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
employees scrapbook which is among the
collection of NEERHS Library.

June 1964 photo of the interior of the Narcissus when the summer
camp of J. Henri Vallee (far right). Photo courtesy of Daniel Vallee.

Circa 1965 photo of the interior of the Narcissus when the summer camp of
J. Henri Vallee (left) with his son, Daniel Vallee. The "addition" to the
body of the Narcissus is the kitchen (seen here behind the gentlemen)
with a hand pump for water and a Buck-stove for heat. Photo
courtesy of Daniel Vallee.

     "Narcissus is the last Maine car available for restoration."

Page 1 of 2 from the July/August 1965 Trolley
Museum newsletter that speaks to the interest the
Museum had for preserving a PLI interurban
since the 1930s. PWM Collection

Trucks that could be used with the Narcissus
were located in Ontario, Canada. These trucks would 
later in 1965 arrive at the Museum after Governor
Reed and his office negotiated for having the trucks
donated to the Museum as a gesture of international
goodwill. PWM Collection

Donald Curry led a team to assess the Narcissus during Christmas week,
1968. They would later remove the attached addition seen here.
DGC photos.

Fall 1969 Seashore Trolley Museum volunteers and staff load the
Narcissus on the Museum's "Highway Monster" for shipping to
Kennebunkport. Photo courtesy of Daniel Vallee.

Late October 1969, the Narcissus is secured to the trailer and ready to 
travel to Kennebunkport. The new home in the background was built by the
Museum as Mr. Vallee's replacement housing for transferring the Narcissus
to the Museum. Photo courtesy of Daniel Vallee.
The Narcissus, just prior to traveling to Kennebunkport. Photo
courtesy of Daniel Vallee.

Spring of 1970 at Seashore Trolley Museum. The Narcissus in the parking
lot on the right rear. PWM Collection.

Spring 1970 at Seashore TrolleyMuseum. The Narcissus still has its sign
on its side thanking all the businesses that contributed materials or labor
to building the Vallee's replacement housing. Photo courtesy of
Norm Downs.

The Narcissus at Seashore Trolley Museum in the Donald G. Curry
Town House Restoration Shop with all 26 ornate leaded stained glass
windows temporarily in place in the clerestory for guests to see during the
benefit the Narcissus. PWM

The Narcissus shortly after having its trucks removed
and rolled out from under it. October 2017. Seen here is
the number 2 end. The same end where Theodore Roosevelt 
leaned out of the train door and waved at folks in Gray
during his August 18, 1914, trip. PWM

     The Narcissus will have its 37-foot, southern yellow pine side sills removed and assessed. The inside and portion of its top and bottom are encased in channel steel. Upon separating the sills from the channel steel, the degree of deterioration will determine the steps necessary to repair or replace the sills. Continue to follow the Narcissus Blog for updates. Please consider making a donation to the Narcissus Project. See below for donation options. Thank You. 

Schedule of PLI/Narcissus Presentations - Spring 2018

The Narcissus (left) and the Gladiolus at the West Falmouth substation
May 19, 1916. Seashore Trolley Museum image

April 17 - West Falmouth Baptist Church - Tuesday, 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.
                 18 Mountain Road, Falmouth, Maine
"The Portland-Lewiston Interurban & No. 14, Narcissus"
The Portland-Lewiston Interurban (PLI) operated in West Falmouth and carried 7.3 million passengers between 1914 and 1933. Learn about the construction (1910-1914) of the line, operations between Portland and Lewiston, Theodore Roosevelt's 1914 ride from Lewiston to Portland on the high-speed luxury interurban, Narcissus, the only surviving high-speed interurban from the line that exists today. Currently, under restoration at Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, the PLI's No. 14, Narcissus, has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1980. A number of PLI/Narcissus artifacts will be on display during the event. Narcissus project manager Phil Morse and restoration technician Donald Curry from Seashore Trolley Museum will be the presenters.
This is a free public event is in cooperation with Falmouth300Falmouth Memorial Library, and the Falmouth Historical Society.
                  

The 1915 Morrison Hill Station from the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
in West Cumberland, Maine, at Seashore Trolley Museum in
Kennebunkport greets passengers as they arrive on the 1901 open trolley car
No. 303 from New Haven, CT. July 2017 PWM image

May 15 - West Cumberland Recreation Hall  - Tuesday, 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.
                115 (Rear) Blackstrap Road, Cumberland, Maine
"The 1915 Morrison Hill Station & the PLI in West Cumberland"
The Portland-Lewiston Interurban (PLI) operated in West Cumberland and carried 7.3 million passengers between 1914 and 1933. The 1915 waiting station at Morrison Hill was donated to Seashore Trolley Museum by Richard Budd, owner of Budd's Gulf in West Cumberland. Learn about the construction (1910-1914) of the line, operations between Portland and Lewiston, Theodore Roosevelt's 1914 ride from Lewiston to Portland on the high-speed luxury interurban, Narcissus, the only surviving high-speed interurban from the line that exists today. Currently, under restoration at Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, the PLI's No. 14, Narcissus, has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1980. A number of PLI/Narcissus artifacts will be on display during the event. Narcissus project manager Phil Morse and restoration technician Donald Curry from Seashore Trolley Museum will be the presenters.
This is a free public event is in cooperation with Prince Memorial Library


Please Consider a Donation to the Narcissus
and help us see this restoration through to completion!
See below for donation options

Thank You


We Did It!! 

$40,000 Raised!

Your Donations to the Narcissus Combined to Achieve the Goal. Raise $40,000 for the Narcissus to Meet the Challenge of the Matching Grant from the 

This brings the Combined Total Amount of Donations to the
Narcissus, based on the 20th Century Electric Railway Foundation's matching grants to $100,000!  

The $40,000 donation is the 2nd donation to the Narcissus from the 20th Century Electric Railway Foundation as a result of successfully raising funds for a matching grant. A previous $10,000 matching grant challenge was achieved in 2014.

Donations made to the Narcissus Fund 816-A, during 2018 and until further notice,
 will be used for work and materials needed to restore the interior of the Narcissus.

See below for Donation options -

It starts with YOU
Your Donation Matters
Make a Donation TODAY

Please Help the Narcissus
Donations are now being raised to restore the interior of the Narcissus.

Donation Options to Help Restore the Narcissus:


The New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
is the 501c3 organization that owns and operates the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME and the National Streetcar
The NEERHS is registered with the IRS (EIN# 01-0244457) and was incorporated in Maine in 1941.

Check or Money Order ***** should be made payable to:
New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
In the memo please write: Narcissus Fund 816-A
Mail to: Seashore Trolley Museum
              P. O. Box A
              Kennebunkport, ME 04046

Credit Card ***** donations can be a one-time donation or you
may choose to have a specific amount charged to your card
automatically on a monthly basis. Please contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5.

Online Donations - may be made by using a Credit Card: 
Click Here to make an online donation through the Museum's website - When at the Donation page: Fill in donor info, etc., when at "To which fund are you donating? Scroll down to "Other" and type in: 816-A Narcissus, then continue on filling in the required information.

Click Here for PayPal - to make an online donation: you can use email: finance@NEERHS.org and in the message box write:
For Narcissus fund 816-A

Donation of Securities ***** We also accept donations of
securities. You can contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5,
for brokerage account information for accepting donated securities.

BONUS ***** If you work for a company/corporation that will
"match" an employee's donation to an approved 501c3 non-profit,
educational, organization, please be sure to complete the necessary paperwork with your employer so that your donation is matched :)

Questions? ***** Please contact Narcissus project manager:
Phil Morse, pmorse31@gmail.com or call 207-985-9723 - cell.

Thank You :)

Thank You for our Current Funding Partners
20th Century Electric Railway Foundation - 2017/2014 Matching Grant Challenges
Mass Bay RRE - 2018 Railroad Preservation Grant 
Thornton Academy (Saco, ME) - Staff & Alumni - Matching Grant Challenge 2014
* New England Electric Railway Historical Society (Kennebunkport, ME) - Member Donations
Amherst Railway Society - 2015 Heritage Grant
National Railway Historical Society - 2016 & 2015 Heritage Preservation Grants
Enterprise Holding Foundation - 2015 Community Grant
Theodore Roosevelt Association - Member Donations
John Libby Family Association and Member Donations
* The Conley Family - In Memory of Scott Libbey 2017/2016/2015
The W. S. Libbey Family - Awalt, Conley, Graf, Holman, Libbey, McAvoy, McLaughlin, Meldrum, O'Halloran, Salto, - 2017
* The Hughes Family 2017/2016/2010
New Gloucester Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Public Library Association - Pat Barter Speaker Series
* IBM - Matching Employee/Retiree Donations
* Fidelity Charitable Grant - Matching Employee Donations
* Richard E. Erwin Grant - 2017/2016


The Narcissus, with interior back-lit, stained glass windows are majestic.
Make a donation today to help restore the interior of this Maine gem.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track! Once restored,
you will be able to ride in luxury on this National Register Treasure at
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.
PWM photo


Please Consider Making a Donation to the Narcissus Restoration Project. We are currently raising funds to restore the interior of this Maine gem.

Various News stories during the summer of 2015 about the
Narcissus and its connection to Theodore Roosevelt. TR
was a passenger on the Narcissus on August 18, 1914.


Click Here to See the list of All Previous Blog Posts - 100-Plus

Link to Libby/Libbey Family connections

Click Here - Portland Public Library Presentation - History of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
Click Here - W. S. Libbey - The Man and His Mill
Click Here - W. S. Libbey - His 1908 Stanley Steamer K 30-hp Semi-Racer
Click Here - W. Scott Libbey's 1908 Stanley Steamer History to be Featured - July 21, 2017
Click Here - Scrapbook Celebrates the People of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
Click Here - May 18, 1914, Newspaper Story on the Passing of PLI Builder, W. Scott Libbey
Click Here - 102nd Anniversary of the Opening of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
Click Here - 83rd anniversary of the Closing of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban
Click Here - Sophia, W. S. Libbey Descendant Visits the Narcissus
Click Here - LibbylLibbey Family Connection to Narcissus becomes Personal
Click Here - Ode To the Grand Old Interurban
Click Here - The Portland-Lewiston Interurban "Bouquet" is Ordered (1912)

Links to Narcissus Restoration Work:
Click Here - Ornate Leaded Stained Glass Work
Click Here - Narcissus Enters Town House Restoration Shop
Click Here - Sorting and Cleaning Materials on Interior of the Narcissus
Click Here - September 7, 2015, Restoration Report
Click Here - December 7, 2015, Restoration Report
Click Here - December 14, 2015, Restoration Report
Click Here - Beautiful Brass of the Narcissus
Click Here - December 28, 2015 Restoration Update
Click Here - January 4, 2016, Restoration Update
Click Here - Vallee Family Photos of Narcissus 1960s
Click Here - February 11, 2016, Restoration Update
Click Here - A Wooden Interurban - Restoration Info
Click Here - NRHS 2016 Heritage Grant Award to Narcissus
Click Here - Announcement of 2016 Teddy Roosevelt Days Fundraising Event for the Narcissus
Click Here - Series of Restoration Posts related to work on exterior poplar frames
Click Here - Vintage Poplar used in Narcissus restoration
Click Here - Mahogany Sash passenger windows being restored
Click Here - "A President Has Ridden in My House!" - Video of Dan Vallee
Click Here - Teddy Roosevelt Days 2016 - Weekend Event Benefits the Narcissus
Click Here - August 2016 Restoration Update
Click Here - Mid-September Restoration Update
Click Here - Theodore Roosevelt & the Narcissus: Connecting Maine Communities
Click Here - How to Make New Seats for the Narcissus?
Click Here - 2016 Summary of Research and Outreach
Click Here - 2016 Restoration Summary


0
The Narcissus - July 31, 2015. Make a donation today.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track!
Once restored, you will be able to ride in luxury on this
National Historic Treasure at
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment