Saturday, March 7, 2020

Maine Bicentennial Series - Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway 1907-1919

Common Street, near City Hall, in Waterville. Standing in
the vestibule is Arthur L. Foster of Augusta. Eight of these
single-end, semi-convertible observation cars were purchased
in 1908 for the Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville St. Rwy.
Originally, these cars only had a controller and brake valve
in the enclosed end. A short time after arriving, however,
a controller and brake valve was installed in the
observation platform end, as seen here in this image.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_175

Here is the newest release in the Maine Bicentennial series of electric railways in Maine. This blog post features the Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway (LA&W) summary/images from the book, "Trolleys to Brunswick, Maine 1896-1937" by O. R. Cummings, presented as Transportation Volume 73 by the Connecticut Valley Chapter and the National Railway Historical Society- January-December 1966.  Also, there are materials from O. R. Cummings' 1963 publication, "Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway. In addition, there are materials from O. R. Cummings and edited by Roger Borrup in O. R. Cummings' book, "Transportation Bulletin No. 76-Trolleys to Augusta, Maine", issued by the Connecticut Valley Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, January-August 1969. All books acquired by this blogger. Additional photos will be credited accordingly.

The LA&W became the longest system in Maine, with 152.9 miles of route miles with a total of 164.8 total track miles in 1917. With that in mind, the Augusta Division details are in a separate blog post titled: Trolleys To Augusta and covers primarily the trolley lines extending from Augusta, the capital of Maine, to Hallowell, Farmingdale, and Gardiner; to Vassalboro, Winslow, and Waterville; to Manchester and Winthrop, and to the National Soldiers' Home in Togus, as well as a short local line in Augusta itself. And the Lewiston Division details are in a separate blog post titled: Lewiston, Brunswick & Bath and covers primarily trolley lines from Lewiston, Auburn, Webster, Lisbon, Lisbon Falls, Topsham, Brunswick, and Bath. There is some overlap of coverage and ownership descriptions in many of the various posts.

A Lewiston-Waterville car on Water Street in Hallowell.
O. R. Cummings Collection

Click Here for the post: Ninety Communities in Maine had Electric Railway Service!
Click Here for the post: 57 Million Passengers Carried on Electric Railways in Maine in 1915!
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - History of the Portland Railroad 1860-1941
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - History of the Calais Street Railway 1894-1929
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - History of Aroostook Valley Railroad 1909-1946
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Fryeburg Horse Railroad 1887-1913
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - The Norway and Paris Street Railway 1894-1918
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Skowhegan & Norridgewock Railway 1894-1903
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Benton and Fairfield Railway 1898-1928
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - The Somerset Traction Company 1895-1928
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - The Fairfield and Shawmut Railway 1903-1927
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Waterville, Fairfield, & Oakland Rwy 1887-1937
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Trolleys to Augusta, Maine 1889-1932
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Rockland, South Thomaston, & St. George Rwy
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Biddeford and Saco Railroad Co. 1888-1939
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Mousam River Railroad - 1892-1899
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Sanford & Cape Porpoise Railway 1899-1904
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Portsmouth, Kittery & York St Rwy 1897-1903
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor Street Railway 1889-1905
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor Railway & Electric Company 1905-1925
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor, Orono & Old Town Railway 1895-1905
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor, Hampden & Winterport Rwy 1896-1905
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Penobscot Central Railway 1898-1906
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor Hydro-Electric Company 1925-1945
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Lewiston, Brunswick & Bath St Rwy 1898-1907
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Androscoggin & Kennebec Railway 1919-1941
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Portland & Brunswick Street Railway 1902-1911
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Auburn & Turner Railroad 1905-1928
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Auburn, Mechanic Falls & NorwayStRwy1902-7
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Portsmouth, Dover & York St Rwy 1903-1906
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Atlantic Shore Line Railway 1900-1910
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Atlantic Shore Railway 1911-1923
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - York Utilities Company 1923-1949
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Portland-Lewiston Interurban - It Begins 1914
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Portland-Lewiston Interurban - The End 1933

     Early in the 1900s, the electric railways serving the three largest population centers in Maine; Portland, Lewiston, and Bangor, had attracted the attention of New York and Philadelphia's financial interests. In some cases, these out-of-state interests were syndicates. In some cases, individuals within these syndicates or the individual syndicate would acquire shares in a railway company in Maine with plans to take control of the particular railway. Ultimately, many of the electric railways in Maine, were at one time or another, controlled by these various syndicates. The three major city-centered systems succumbed to the syndicates with first Bangor, followed by Lewiston and then finally Portland, on February 1, 1912. Through A. B. Leach & Company of New York, E. W. Clark & Company of Philadelphia and J. and W. Seligman & Company of New York (brokerage houses), were in control of the Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville, the Bangor Railway & Electric Company, and the Portland Railroad.


Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway
To start, the Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway (LA&W) was the name of the new company that was organized in 1907 to consolidate four existing charters of railways that were either already operating railways or were yet to be built railways. Beset by financial difficulties in 1918, it would become reorganized as the Androscoggin & Kennebec Railway in 1919.

The back story:
Control of the Lewiston, Brunswick & Bath Street Railway was sold in 1906 to the group headed by John R. Graham of the Bangor, Railway & Electric Company. The Graham group also acquired control of the Augusta, Winthrop & Gardiner Street Railway Company, connecting the Maine capital with Gardiner, Winthrop, and Togus; and also acquired the unused charters of the Auburn, Mechanic Falls & Norway Street Railway and the Augusta & Waterville Railway Companies, both of which proposed to connect the points named in their corporate titles.

     On April 3, 1907, the name of the Auburn, Mechanic Falls & Norway Street Railway was changed to the Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway (LA&W); on April 24th the new company absorbed the Lewiston, Brunswick & Bath St. Rwy and the August, Winthrop & Gardiner St. Rwy. The Lewiston, Brunswick & Bath Street Railway became the Lewiston Division and the former Augusta, Winthrop & Gardiner routes became the Augusta Division. Subsequently, in 1910, the Auburn & Turner Railroad was added to LA&W's Lewiston Division, and in 1911, the Brunswick & Yarmouth Street Railway was merged into the  LA&W, as was the Portland & Brunswick Street Railway in 1913 to create the Freeport Division.

LA&W Express No. 506 at the Priscilla Rug Company
siding in Turner. O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_10_047

Superintendents and Managers
     Leander F. Taylor was the first superintendent of the Augusta Division, others holding that position over the years including Sherman Dunn, Claude C. Cole, Percy E. Weymouth, and George W. Bowie.
     Mr. Bowie was a former general superintendent of the Lewiston, Augusta, & Waterville Street Railway, while Mr. Weymouth became superintendent of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban Railroad, and served until its abandonment in 1933.
     The first general manager of the LA&W was E. D. Reed, and he served until March 1908, when he was succeeded by Harry B. Ivers. In June 1912, he became general manager of the Cumberland County Power & Light Company (CCP&L), which had acquired the controlling stock of the Portland Railroad Company (PRR) and the Lewiston, Augusta, & Waterville Street Railway Company (LA&W). This led to the two railways being operated under unified management, with headquarters in Portland, and until 1919, also sharing in marketing as seen in the promotional handout below.


A reprinted map, circa 1912, "Trolleying through the Heart of Maine"
Distributed by the Portland Railroad and the Lewiston, Augusta, &
Waterville Street Railway. Courtesy Seashore Trolley Museum

     Ivers resigned as general manager of the CCP&L and its subsidiaries as of February 14, 1914, and was succeeded by E. T. Munger, former general superintendent of the Hudson & Manhattan Railroad Company of New York. Due to ill health, he relinquished his post in May and his successor was Albert H. Ford, former president of the Birmingham Railway Light and Power Company of Birmingham, Alabama.
     Alfred Sweeney, formerly associated with the Norfolk & Portsmouth Traction Company of Norfolk, VA, joined the LA&W in 1908, and in the following year was named superintendent of the track.
     Two years later, in 1911, he was named assistant to the general manager of the LA&W, and in late 1917, he became assistant general manager of the LA&W and the PRR. Subsequently, in April of 1918, he was named general manager of the LA&W.

Construction Authenticity Pushed
     Authority to build a 21-mile line northerly from Augusta to Waterville via East and North Vassalboro and Winslow was sought by the LA&W interests, under the charter of the Augusta & Waterville Railway. On March 22, 1907, more than a month prior to the consolidation, a petition for approval of locations was filed with the Railroad Commissioners. The required hearing was held at the State House on May 6th and a favorable decision was rendered the same day.
     The route was to branch from the Togus line at Cony Corner and generally, follow the present (1969) Route 201 to Bangor Road station in the Riverside area of Augusta. From there the line was to run over private right-of-way for about 7 miles through the woods and open country and along the shore of Webber Pond toward East Vassalboro.

Four Corners, East Vassalboro, Maine circa 1910
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_151

     Paralleling a narrow dirt road from Pope Avenue into East Vassalboro, the LA&W was to cross the 2-foot gauge Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railroad at grade, just before entering the village.
     From East Vassalboro, the line was to run northerly along present Route 32 through North Vassalboro to Winslow, entering the town via Cushman Road. Curving to the swing north and cross the town bridge over the Sebasticook River, continuing along Bay Street a short distance before coming to a crossing of the MCRR.

Viaduct Avoided Grade Crossing
     To avoid a grade crossing of the railroad, the LA&W purchased a private right-of-way along the side of a clay bank to the east of the MCRR tracks and constructed a 245-foot long steel viaduct spanning the steam road at a 45-degree angle.

Map from O. R. Cummings 1963 book, "Lewiston,
Augusta, & Waterville Street Railway

     From the viaduct, there was an easy downgrade to the Ticonic bridge crossing the Kennebec River between Winslow and Waterville.

No 320 on the trestle over Maine Central
tracks in Winslow.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_161

     The Railroad Commissioners refused to allow the trolley line to cross on this highway bridge, which was believed to be too weak, The railway company was forced to build its own crossing of the Kennebec, a 500-foot, four-span, reinforced, concrete bridge being provided.

Constructing the new trolley bridge between Winslow
and Waterville, 1909.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_164

     In Waterville, the LA&W was to connect with the Waterville & Fairfield Street Railway (W&F) (later the WF&O) at Bridge and Main Streets and the LA&W obtained trackage rights over the W&F along Main Street from Bridge Street to Common Street, near the City Hall.

Gardiner-Sabattus Link
     The same legislation that created the LA&W system, authorized the company to build an approximately 20-mile connecting link between Sabattus, on the Lewiston Division, and Gardiner on the former Augusta, Waterville & Gardiner Railroad (AW&G).

Sabattus, Maine.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_016

     Locations of this trackage were approved by the Railroad commissioners on June 12, 1907, and called for it to begin at Main and High Streets, Sabattus Village, and run over a winding private right-of-way for about a half-mile, bridging the MCRR's Farmington branch en route, before joining and crossing the main road from Lewiston to Gardiner (the present Route 126) near Sabattus Lake.
     (Later a physical connection between the MCRR and the LAW was established near the east end of the private way.)

Several Private Way Sections
     Running on its own right-of-way at the southerly side of the road but within the legal limits of the highway, the line was to extend on for slightly more than two miles to a point near the Webster-Wales town line.
     There is was to enter a private way again, running to the west of the highway for about three-quarters of a mile before crossing the road and continuing through the woods and fields for roughly 2.5 miles to what later became known as Keenan's.

Map from 2015 NEERHS book,
"The Illustrated Atlas of Maine's Street
& Electric Railways 1863-1946"

     Along the highway again, the line was to extend for some four miles through South Monmouth to Sand Pond, at the Monmouth-Litchfield boundary.

Map from O. R. Cummings 1963 book, "Lewiston,
Augusta, & Waterville Street Railway

No. 332 at Day's Corner, South Monmouth, ME. Spur to
Heart of Maine packing Company on the right.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_031

Tacoma Inn
    The Tacoma Inn, on the line between Sabattus and Gardiner, near the intersection of Sand & Woodbury Ponds, was a favorite spot for factory and commercial outings. Only 14 miles from the Lewiston waiting station, there were many charter trips from Lewiston, Auburn, and Gardiner to the Inn. An annual excursion was that of the Healy Asylum, a boys' orphanage in Lewiston. This yearly event was financed by a bequest in the will of W. Scott Libbey, builder of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban, Bates College and probably Colby College classes and groups held outings and reunions at the inn.

A feature attraction at the Tacoma Inn was the "High Diving White Horses."
The handsome white horses, "King" and "Queen" would jump into Sand
Pond from a high platform (info provided by

Shortly after passing the pond, it was to enter a private right-of-way once more and continue on for about two miles to Batchelder's Tavern.

Bachelder's Crossing in Litchfield, Maine.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_039

     From Bachelder's, the route was to follow the east side of the Lewiston-Gardiner road to Horseshoe Pond, and on through West Gardiner to the Cobbossee Stream at New Mills Village in Gardiner. Crossing the stream, the line was to run along the northwesterly side of Central Street and then along Water Street to Depot Square.

Map from 2015 NEERHS book,
"The Illustrated Atlas of Maine's Street
& Electric Railways 1863-1946"

     Construction of the Augusta-Waterville and Sabbatus-Gardiner lines began in mid-1907 and it must be said that both were built to the highest standards of the day.
     The 70-pound "T"-rail was laid in 30-foot lengths, broken-jointed, with Weber joints and twin-terminal bonds. Ties were of cedar, laid on 2-foot centers in gravel ballast. Double-ties were used at joints.
     Pressed steel tie plates were used on curves and the track was cross-bonded every 1,000 feet. Grades were light and curves easy. The overhead construction consisted of double-No. 00 trolley wire suspended from side brackets.

New Route Opened in Sections
     The first section of the new Augusta-Waterville route opened for travel was the 7-mile stretch between the Sebasticook River bridge in Winslow and the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railroad (WW& F RR) crossing at East Vassalboro on June 27, 1908.

Map from 2015 NEERHS book,
"The Illustrated Atlas of Maine's Street
& Electric Railways 1863-1946"

     About five months later, on November 21st, the Railroad Commissioners inspected and granted a certificate of safety for the 12.8 miles of track between Cony Corner and the narrow gauge crossing, and on the last day of the year, the LAW received a certificate of safety for the .031 mile between the Sebasticook River bridge and the east end of the Ticonic bridge.


Two Years to Complete Connections
     It was not until December 15, 1909, that the company was granted a certificate of safety for the 1,100 feet of track from Winslow across the new bridge to the connection with the W&F at the junction of Main and Bridge Streets, Waterville.
     (The grade crossing of the WW&F RR existed for only eight years, being eliminated in 1916 when the narrow gauge line abandoned and removed its track between Weeks Mills and North Vassalboro, the section between North Vassalboro and Winslow having been abandoned and dismantled four years earlier.)



No. 334 on Main Street in North Vassalboro, Maine.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_152

     On the Sabattus-Gardiner link, a certificate of safety for the 1.5 miles of track between Depot Square and New Mills Village was granted on July 13, 1908, and a little more than two months later, on September 15th, a similar certificate was granted for the 19.5 miles between New Mills Village and Sabattus.

Bridge at New Mills, Cobbossee Stream, in Gardiner, Maine.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_043

The "Merrymeeting" parlor car in Sabattus at the siding
numbered 5 in the Sabattus map below.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_022

Map from O. R. Cummings 1963 book, "Lewiston,
Augusta, & Waterville Street Railway

     As completed with the opening of the new Winslow-Waterville bridge across the Kennebec in late 1909, the LA&W's Augusta Division extended from Depot Square, Gardiner, through Farmingdale, Hallowell, Augusta, East and North Vassalboro to Winslow and Waterville; from Augusta to Togus; from Augusta to Winthrop; and along State Street, from Grove Street to Crosby Lane, in Augusta. The new Sabattus-Gardiner link was part of the Lewiston Division.


The "Maranacook," after being numbered No. 108, in a later
paint scheme at the corner of Bowdoin and Summer Streets,
Winthrop, Maine. O. R. Cummings Collection
2009_2_21_125-Courtesy Seashore Trolley Museum Library

Ten Years of Growing Business
     The early years after the consolidation, the original lines received rehabilitation and upgrades yearly through 1914, then little appears to have been done in 1915 or 1916. The reduction in investment in maintenance coincides with the beginning of the decline.
     From 1907 to 1917, the LA&W was a fairly profitable system. Passenger traffic climbed steadily during the ten-year period and freight and express also showed a healthy annual increase.

Trolley party "Special' open car No. 63 poses at Maranacook
Landing. - O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_117

     Riding, much of it pleasure traffic, was very heavy during the summer months and there was a high volume of year 'round local patronage in Lewiston, Auburn, Bath, and Augusta.

The "Cobbosseecontee," No. 20 of the AW&G loading
passengers for Winthrop on Western Avenue at State Street,
Augusta. Circa 1903 - O. R. Cummings Collection
2009_2_21_101-Courtesy Seashore Trolley Museum Library

     The high point in passenger traffic and revenue came during the year ended December 31, 1917, when the former totaled 15,499,524 riders and the latter was $752,796.
     The road's fixed charges were very high due to the large funded debt and other obligations - and operating and maintenance costs were by no means low. 1910-1916 the preferred stock did payout 6-percent, but at no time did were any dividends paid to common stockholders.

From O. R. Cummings 1963 book, "Lewiston,
Augusta, & Waterville Street Railway

Troubles Pile Up in 1917-18
     The last month in 1917 and the first few in 1918 were a time of trouble for the LA&W. A two-day strike of blue-uniformed men completely paralyzed the system in early December, then came a number of storms, disrupting service for several days at a time.


Possibly No. 334 abandoned in the snow on the private
right-of-way near Webber Pond in Vassalboro.
O. R. Cummings Collection 2009_2_21_150

     Many cars were withdrawn from service due to burned out motors and power difficulties. A war-time scarcity of parts hampered the company in making repairs.
     Due to rising expenses, the LA&W was able to only pay a 1.5-percent dividend on preferred stock in 1918. A fare increase in June helped matters a little, but it soon became apparent that a sizable deficit was in the offing.

1918 Losses Brough Receivership - Reorganization Decided Upon
     With losses approaching $100,000, on December 16, 1918, the line was in receivership. When the financial conditions failed to improve in 1919, the company was reorganized and foreclosed on July 1, 1919. A public auction took place.
     The sale was held on September 5, and the assets, properties, and franchises of the LA&W being conveyed to the protective committee for $50, contingent upon acceptance of the outstanding liabilities and debts totaling $3,100,000.
     The Augusta Division of the former LA&W became the Kennebec Division of the Androscoggin & Kennebec Railway (A&K), and it eventually was expanded to include the Sabattus-Gardiner trackage in addition to that from Gardiner through Augusta to Waterville; from Augusta to Winthrop, and from Augusta to Togus.
     George W. Bowie continued as superintendent of the Kennebec Division, Alfred B. Sweeney being the general manager of the A&K.

Restoration work continues on the Narcissus. The Narcissus is more than 100 years old now and has so many incredible stories to share. The restoration is but one.

     The Narcissus is featured in the national Gold Award-winning novel, Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride. The "Elegant Ride" is the Narcissus. Theodore Roosevelt was a passenger on the Narcissus on August 18, 1914, between Lewiston and Portland, Maine, during campaigning for the Progressive Party candidates.

Independent book publisher, Phil Morse, holding
the Gold Book Award Winner plaque for
 the Middle Reader category for The Eric
Hoffer Book Award. Congratulations to
award-winning Maine author,
Jean M. Flahive

     The paperback edition of Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride can be purchased online through the Seashore Trolley Museum's store website. Books purchased through the Museum's website directly benefit the Museum and the Narcissus project. Amazon book purchases also benefit the Museum and the Narcissus.

Click Here to go to the Museum Store webpage to order online

Click Here to go to the Amazon page to order the book online

Click Here to go to the ebook page

Books are available at these local bookstores in Maine:
The Book Review, Falmouth
The Bookworm, Gorham
Letterpress Books, Portland
Nonesuch Books and More, South Portland
Sherman's Maine Coast Book Shops - All locations

Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride
by Jean M. Flahive
Illustrations by Amy J. Gagnon

     Millie Thayer is a headstrong farmer's daughter who chases her dreams in a way you would expect a little girl nicknamed "Spitfire" would-running full tilt and with her eyes on the stars. Dreaming of leaving the farm life, working in the city, and fighting for women's right to vote, Millie imagines flying away on a magic carpet. One day, that flying carpet shows up in the form of an electric trolley that cuts across her farm. A fortune-teller predicts that Millie's path will cross that of someone famous. Suddenly, she finds herself caught up in events that shake the nation, Maine, and her family. Despairing that her dreams may be shattered, Millie learns, in an unexpected way, that dreams can be shared.
A resource for teachers 
Maine Historical Society has created companion lesson plans inspired by Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride - These State-standard-based lesson plans for classroom use in grades 6, 7, and 8 are now completed. They will be uploaded to the Maine Memory Network and will be included with the other statewide lesson plans K-12. Once a link is available, it will be posted here. The lesson plans will also be uploaded and available through the Seashore Trolley Museum's website later in July 2020. Go to the Teacher Resource Page in the pulldown for more details.

The ebook is available through Amazon Kindle Click HERE

The audiobook is now available Click HERE to go to the Audible page.

2-minute, 30-second, Retail Audio Sample of the Audiobook 


Award-winning author, Jean M. Flahive


                                                  


Click Here to read the post - Coveted Blueink Starred Review  - Notable Book - January 20, 2020

Click Here to read the post - Three 5-Star Reviews from Readers' Favorite posted on January 6, 2020

Click Here to read January 24, 2020 - Four-Star Clarion Review

Click Here to read January 19, 2020 - Theodore Roosevelt Center Blog Post Review

Click Here to read the December 25, 2019 4-Stars out of 4-Stars Review through OnlineBookClub

Please Consider a Donation to the Narcissus Project to help us tell the incredible story of the Narcissus through the interpretation portion of the Narcissus Project.

     Here is an example of how donations to the Narcissus Project now will help with the interpretation portion of the project. The interpretation programming will include exhibits, displays, education programming. During 2019, through generous donations to the Narcissus Project, we were able to conserve, replicate, and have high resolutions digital image files made of the original, 1910, 25.5-foot long, surveyor map of the elevation and grade of the 30-mile private right-of-way of the Portland, Gray, and Lewiston Railroad (Portland-Lewiston Interurban)
Thank You!

MUST-READ! - Click Here 

   Inside the Donald G. Curry Town House Restoration Shop, the Narcissus is in the midst of major work as we strive to complete its restoration. We are now planning the interpretation portion of the Narcissus Project. Donations to the Narcissus Project may be used in the future to help tell the incredible 100-plus-year-old story of the Narcissus. Your donation to the Narcissus is helping to make the dream of the project's success, a reality.

See below for Donation options -
It starts with YOU
Your Donation Matters
Make a Donation TODAY

Please Help the Narcissus. 
Donation Options to Help the Narcissus Project:

The New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
is the 501c3 organization that owns and operates the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME and the National Streetcar
The NEERHS is registered with the IRS (EIN# 01-0244457) and was incorporated in Maine in 1941.

Check or Money Order ***** should be made payable to:
New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
In the memo please write: Narcissus Fund 816-A
Mail to: Seashore Trolley Museum
              P. O. Box A
              Kennebunkport, ME 04046

Credit Card ***** donations can be a one-time donation or you
may choose to have a specific amount charged to your card
automatically on a monthly basis. Please contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5.

Online Donations - may be made by using a Credit Card: 
Click Here to make an online donation through the Museum's website - When at the Donation page: Fill in donor info, etc., when at "To which fund are you donating? Scroll down to "Other" and type in: 816-A Narcissus, then continue on filling in the required information.

Click Here for PayPal - to make an online donation: you can use email: finance@NEERHS.org and in the message box write:
For Narcissus fund 816-A

Donation of Securities ***** We also accept donations of
securities. You can contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5,
for brokerage account information for accepting donated securities.

BONUS ***** If you work for a company/corporation that will
"match" an employee's donation to an approved 501c3 non-profit
educational organization, please be sure to complete the necessary paperwork with your employer so that your donation is matched :)

Questions? ***** Please contact Narcissus project manager:
Phil Morse, pmorse31@gmail.com or call 207-985-9723 - cell.

Thank You :)

Thank You for our Current Funding Partners
20th Century Electric Railway Foundation - 2018 - Major Gift, 2017/2014 Matching Grants
Renaissance Charitable Foundation (LPCT) by Fiduciary Trust Charitable Giving Fund
Mass Bay RRE - 2018 Railroad Preservation Grant 
Thornton Academy (Saco, ME) - Staff & Alumni - Matching Grant Challenge 2014
New England Electric Railway Historical Society (Kennebunkport, ME) - Member Donations
Amherst Railway Society - 2015 Heritage Grant
National Railway Historical Society - 2016 & 2015 Heritage Preservation Grants
Enterprise Holding Foundation - 2015 Community Grant
Theodore Roosevelt Association - Member Donations
John Libby Family Association and Member Donations
* The Conley Family - In Memory of Scott Libbey 2018/2017/2016/2015
* The W. S. Libbey Family - Awalt, Conley, Graf, Holman, Libbey, McAvoy, McLaughlin, Meldrum, O'Halloran, Salto, - 2018/2017
* The Hughes Family 2017/2016/2010
New Gloucester Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Public Library Association - Pat Barter Speaker Series
* LogMein - Matching Employee Donation
* IBM - Matching Employee/Retiree Donations
* Fidelity Charitable Grant - Matching Employee Donations
* Richard E. Erwin Grant - 2017/2016

The Narcissus, with interior back-lit, stained glass windows are majestic.
Make a donation today to help restore the interior of this Maine gem.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track! Once restored,
you will be able to ride in luxury on this National Register Treasure at
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.
PWM photo

Please Consider Making a Donation to the project of the National Register of Historic Places member, Narcissus. We are currently raising funds to tell the incredible story of this Maine gem.

Various News stories during the summer of 2015 about the
Narcissus and its connection to Theodore Roosevelt. TR
was a passenger on the Narcissus on August 18, 1914.

Click Here to See the list of All Previous Blog Posts - Index

The Narcissus - July 31, 2015. Make a donation today.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track!
Once restored, you will be able to ride in luxury on this
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment