Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Maine Bicentennial Series - Portsmouth, Dover & York Street Railway 1903-1906

Rosemary Junction in Eliot about 1903. The car on the left
has arrived from Badger's Island, while No. 20, at right, is
headed for York Beach over what was popularly called,
the "Airline," between Rosemary Junction and York Corner
Junction. Through cars were run hourly between Dover and
the resort in summer, shuttle trips being operated on a
two-hour headway between Rosemary and The Goldenrod
in other seasons.

Here is the newest release in the Maine Bicentennial series of electric railways in Maine. This blog post features the Portsmouth, Dover & York Street Railway summary/images from the book, "Atlantic Shore Line Railway" by O. R. Cummings, presented as Transportation Volume 4 by the Connecticut Electric Railway and the National Railway Historical Society-Connecticut Chapter - June 1950 Re-issued January 1957. And text/images are also taken from an O. R. Cummings book, "Trolleys To York Beach: The Portsmouth Dover & York Street Railway", Bulletin No. 1, New England Electric Historical Society, December 30, 1964. Some text/images may be from the NEERHS 2015 publication, "The Illustrated Atlas of Maine's Street & Electric Railways 1863-1946. Additional images will be credited or from O. R. Cummings Collection.

Click Here for the post: Ninety Communities in Maine had Electric Railway Service!
Click Here for the post: 57 Million Passengers Carried on Electric Railways in Maine in 1915!
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - History of the Portland Railroad 1860-1941
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - History of the Calais Street Railway 1894-1929
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - History of Aroostook Valley Railroad 1909-1946
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Fryeburg Horse Railroad 1887-1913
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - The Norway and Paris Street Railway 1894-1918
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Skowhegan & Norridgewock Railway 1894-1903
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Benton and Fairfield Railway 1898-1928
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - The Somerset Traction Company 1895-1928
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - The Fairfield and Shawmut Railway 1903-1927
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Waterville, Fairfield, & Oakland Rwy 1887-1937
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Trolleys to Augusta, Maine 1889-1932
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Rockland, South Thomaston, & St. George Rwy
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Biddeford and Saco Railroad Co. 1888-1939
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Mousam River Railroad - 1892-1899
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Sanford & Cape Porpoise Railway 1899-1904
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Portsmouth, Kittery & York St Rwy 1897-1903
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor Street Railway 1889-1905
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor Railway & Electric Company 1905-1925
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor, Orono & Old Town Railway 1895-1905
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor, Hampden & Winterport Rwy 1896-1905
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Penobscot Central Railway 1898-1906
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Bangor Hydro-Electric Company 1925-1945
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Lewiston, Brunswick & Bath St Rwy 1898-1907
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville St Rwy 1907-19
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Androscoggin & Kennebec Railway 1919-1941
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Portland & Brunswick Street Railway 1902-1911
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Auburn & Turner Railroad 1905-1928
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Auburn, Mechanic Falls & NorwayStRwy1902-3
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Atlantic Shore Line Railway 1900-1910
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Atlantic Shore Railway 1911-1923
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - York Utilities Company 1923-1949
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Portland-Lewiston Interurban - It Begins 1914
Click Here for the post: Maine Bicentennial series - Portland-Lewiston Interurban - The End 1933

O. R. Cummings Collection

Portsmouth, Dover & York Street Railway
     The short summary of the history of the Portsmouth, Dover & York Street Railway (PD&Y) requires a look back at the circumstances that led up to the establishment of the PDY, which in short order came under the control of the Atlantic Shore Line Railway in 1906.

The terminus of the South Berwick village line was at a
Boston & Maine Northen Division grade crossing on Salmon
Street near the east end of the Salmon Falls River bridge.
O. R. Cummings Collection

     The Kittery & Eliot Street Railway was chartered on March 20, 1897, and was authorized to build from Government Street, Kittery, through South Eliot to Sturgeon Creek in Eliot. the charter was revived on March 13, 1901, and later in the year, the connection to the Portsmouth, Kittery & York Street Railway at Government and New March Streets, is where the line would begin. Construction began early in July 1903. The line operated from Government Square to Greenacres, a distance of about 3.5 miles, as a branch of the PK&Y.

The original Shapleigh's bridge across the Eastern Division of
the Boston & Maine near Gould Corner in Eliot prior to 1907.
O. R. Cummings Collection

     During the summer of 1901, Maine Governor, John F. Hill, announced his intentions of building a cross-country trolley line from Dover, NH, through South Berwick, and his home town of Eliot, to York Village and York Beach. At the time, Governor Hill, who had been active in the state's traction industry for a number of years, was a director of the Augusta, Hallowell & Gardiner Railroad  (a predecessor of the Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway) and the Norway & Paris and the Rockland, Thomaston & Camden Street Railways in association with George E. Macomber, one of the promoters of these three railways.

After the original York Beach carhouse was destroyed by fire
in 1904, a replacement was erected by the PD&Y in 1905 on
the same site on the west side of Long Beach Avenue
between Nubble Road and Church Street. Two tracks
inside the building, which also housed a 220-cell storage
battery required to ensure adequate voltage at the resort.
This building was sold after the line went out of business
in 1923. Eventually, this building became the York Beach
Casino, a popular dance hall, which was destroyed by fire
on May 6, 1976. O. R. Cummings Collection

     In pursuance of his purpose, he organized two provisional corporations, the Berwick, Eliot & York Street Railway in Maine and the Dover & Eliot Street Railway in New Hampshire; purchased the controlling stock and assumed the debt of the Eliot Bridge Company, owning a toll bridge over the Salmon Falls River between Dover and South Berwick, and subsequently acquired substantial interests in the Portsmouth, Kittery & York and the Kittery & Eliot Street Railways.

Passing the Philip Furbish home in Eliot is a 13-bench open
car headed for Dover. The tracks in Dover ended in Franklin
Square on Central Avenue where they almost-but-not-quite
connected physically with those of the Dover, Somersworth
& Rochester Street Railway. Philip Furbish image in
O. R. Cummings Collection

     The Berwick, Eliot & York Street Railway was approved by the Maine Railroad commissioners on February 7, 1902, and the Dover & Eliot Street Railway was approved in NH on February 26, 1902. Late in 1902, Governor Hill, by then a director of both the Portsmouth, Kittery & York and the Kittery & Eliot Street Railways, moved to consolidate the properties into a single operating company. On February 11, 1903, permission was authorized for the Berwick, Eliot & York to change its name to the Portsmouth, Dover & York Street Railway; to lease or purchase the Portsmouth, Kittery & York, the Kittery & Eliot, the Berwick & South Berwick, and the Dover & Eliot Street Railway, and the Eliot Bridge Company, and to construct a branch from some point on its mainline to connect with the Kittery & Eliot's existing trackage at Greenacre. The name change occurred on May 20, 1903.

PWM Collection


PWM Collection

     The Berwick and South Berwick Street Railway was chartered in 1901, but no steps were taken to begin construction, so the charter was allowed to lapse in 1903. The PD&Y leased the Berwick & Eliot line and adsorbed the PK&Y and the Kittery & Eliot and took over on November 1, 1903.

Map of the Portsmouth, Dover & York Street Railway with
fare zones as of 1911. In 1911, the PD&Y was the
Western Division of the Atlantic Shore Railway.
O. R. Cummings' 1964 book, "Trolleys to York Beach."

     In all, more than 20 miles of new railway was built during 1903, including the Dover & Eliot from Dover to the Eliot bridge; from Eliot bridge (at the state line) to South Berwick, from South Berwick Junction to York Corner, and from Rosemary Junction to Greenacres. As of November 1, 1903, when the Portsmouth, Kittery & York was consolidated with the PD&Y, the line operated on about 40 miles of mainline trackage, 21 miles of which were over the property's private right-of-way.

The Gould Corner waiting station in Eliot in about 1903. 
Locate on what is now Route 103, about 1-mile northeast of
Rosemary Junction. O. R. Cummings Collection

The South Berwick carhouse is shown here shortly after its
completion in 1903. The elevated tank contained water for
an automatic sprinkler system in the barn. There were seven
tracks and a two-story ell at the right which contained offices,
a crew's lobby, a power substation, and a second-floor
dormitory. A fire on November 16, 1918, destroyed a
good portion of the building. No trace of the building
remains today. O. R. Cummings Collection

Just a short distance from the South Berwick carhouse was
South Berwick Junction, where the tracks to South Berwick
village branched from the mainline between Dover and
Rosemary Junction. Nearby was Quamphegan Park, a
privately owned resort bordering on Quamphegan Brook
and the Salmon Falls River. Boating, fishing, bathing, and
a dancing pavilion were among its simple attractions.
O. R. Cummings Collection

     No special ceremonies appear to have marked the opening of the new routes constructed by the Portsmouth, Dover & York. The certificate of safety was granted on June 29, and regular service between Dover and York Beach commenced on July 1. Because of a delay in the completion of the viaduct over the Boston & Maine near the Eliot depot, the extension from Rosemary Junction to Greenacre did not open until July 14. Operations for new construction were finalized on August 13, 1903, with the "Airline" route from Rosemary Junction in Eliot to York Corner mainly over the private right-of-way, opened November 1, 1903, as a direct route from Dover to York Beach.

Open car No. 19 at the Greenacre on July 24, 1902, 
opening day of the Kittery & Eliot Railway.
O. R. Cummings Collection

     The basic fare on the PD&Y system was five cents, each route was divided into two or more five-cent zones. 
Portsmouth-York Beach: Portsmouth and Emery's (Ferry Lane), Kittery; Emery's and Sea Point; Sea Point and Seabury, York; Seabury and Club Stables, York Harbor; Club Stables and St. Aspinquid Park, York Beach.
Portsmouth - Dover: Portsmouth and Cross Street, South Eliot; Cross Street and Rosemary Junction; Rosemary Junction and South Berwick Junction; South Berwick Junction and Dover.
Dover-York Beach: Dover and South Berwick Junction, South Berwick Junction and Rosemary Junction; Rosemary Junction and Langley's Road, East Eliot; Langley's Road and Rice's Bridge; Rice's Bridge and Club Stables, York Harbor; Club Stables and York Beach.
Dover-South Berwick: Dover and South Berwick Junction; South Berwick Junction and South Berwick.

Dover-Eliot-Kittery Map from
2015 NEERHS book,
"The Illustrated Atlas of Maine's Street
& Electric Railways 1863-1946"

Kittery-York Beach Map from
2015 NEERHS book,
"The Illustrated Atlas of Maine's Street
& Electric Railways 1863-1946"

     In addition to the passenger receipts and revenue from mail and express, the PD&Y had another source of income - the tolls from railway-owned Eliot bridge.
A few typical tolls were as follows:
     Foot Passenger..............................................  .02
     One Person with Horse.................................  .08
     Carriage Drawn by One Horse......................  .15
     Carriage Drawn by Two Horses....................  .25
     Coach, Hack or Sleigh Drawn by Four Horse .40
     Led Horses or Cattle, Each............................  .05
     Sheep or Swine, Each....................................  .01
     Bicycle...........................................................  .03

      In later years, the rate for bicycles was increased to five cents. The rate for automobiles with two seats was fifteen cents, with a two-cent charge added for each additional seat, occupied or unoccupied. The rate for motor trucks (limited in weight) was 25 cents.

Built by the Laconia Car Company Works for the PD&Y in
1904, U. S. Mail car No. 108 also carried Express. No. 108
is among the collection of Maine railway vehicles at
Seashore Trolley Museum and is listed in the
O. R. Cummingds Collection

Railway Mail Service clerk Charles Preston sorts letters in
the postal compartment of No. 108 somewhere between
Badger's Island and York beach. 
O. R. Cummings Collection

     The PD&Y utilized about 41 total miles of trackage. During its full fiscal year of operation ending June 30, 1905; the line carried 2,812,046 passengers and generated $99,482 in passenger revenues.

     Late in 1905, stock control of the Portsmouth, Dover & York was acquired by the syndicate which controlled the Atlantic Shore Line Railway (ASL), and on February 1, 1906, the PD&Y was formally consolidated with the Atlantic Shore Line and the PD&Y became the ASL's Western Division.

Restoration work continues on the Narcissus. The Narcissus is more than 100 years old now and has so many incredible stories to share. The restoration is but one.

     The Narcissus is featured in the national Gold Award-winning novel, Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride. The "Elegant Ride" is the Narcissus. Theodore Roosevelt was a passenger on the Narcissus on August 18, 1914, between Lewiston and Portland, Maine, during campaigning for the Progressive Party candidates.

Independent book publisher, Phil Morse, holding
the Gold Book Award Winner plaque for
 the Middle Reader category for The Eric
Hoffer Book Award. Congratulations to
award-winning Maine author,
Jean M. Flahive

     The paperback edition of Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride can be purchased online through the Seashore Trolley Museum's store website. Books purchased through the Museum's website directly benefit the Museum and the Narcissus project. Amazon book purchases also benefit the Museum and the Narcissus.

Click Here to go to the Museum Store webpage to order online

Click Here to go to the Amazon page to order the book online

Click Here to go to the ebook page

Books are available at these local bookstores in Maine:
The Book Review, Falmouth
The Bookworm, Gorham
Letterpress Books, Portland
Nonesuch Books and More, South Portland
Sherman's Maine Coast Book Shops - All locations

Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride
by Jean M. Flahive
Illustrations by Amy J. Gagnon

     Millie Thayer is a headstrong farmer's daughter who chases her dreams in a way you would expect a little girl nicknamed "Spitfire" would-running full tilt and with her eyes on the stars. Dreaming of leaving the farm life, working in the city, and fighting for women's right to vote, Millie imagines flying away on a magic carpet. One day, that flying carpet shows up in the form of an electric trolley that cuts across her farm. A fortune-teller predicts that Millie's path will cross that of someone famous. Suddenly, she finds herself caught up in events that shake the nation, Maine, and her family. Despairing that her dreams may be shattered, Millie learns, in an unexpected way, that dreams can be shared.
A resource for teachers 
Maine Historical Society has created companion lesson plans inspired by Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride - These State-standard-based lesson plans for classroom use in grades 6, 7, and 8 are now completed. They will be uploaded to the Maine Memory Network and will be included with the other statewide lesson plans K-12. Once a link is available, it will be posted here. The lesson plans will also be uploaded and available through the Seashore Trolley Museum's website later in July 2020. Go to the Teacher Resource Page in the pulldown for more details.

The ebook is available through Amazon Kindle Click HERE

The audiobook is now available Click HERE to go to the Audible page.

2-minute, 30-second, Retail Audio Sample of the Audiobook 


Award-winning author, Jean M. Flahive


                                                  


Click Here to read the post - Coveted Blueink Starred Review  - Notable Book - January 20, 2020

Click Here to read the post - Three 5-Star Reviews from Readers' Favorite posted on January 6, 2020

Click Here to read January 24, 2020 - Four-Star Clarion Review

Click Here to read January 19, 2020 - Theodore Roosevelt Center Blog Post Review

Click Here to read the December 25, 2019 4-Stars out of 4-Stars Review through OnlineBookClub

Please Consider a Donation to the Narcissus Project to help us tell the incredible story of the Narcissus through the interpretation portion of the Narcissus Project.

     Here is an example of how donations to the Narcissus Project now will help with the interpretation portion of the project. The interpretation programming will include exhibits, displays, education programming. During 2019, through generous donations to the Narcissus Project, we were able to conserve, replicate, and have high resolutions digital image files made of the original, 1910, 25.5-foot long, surveyor map of the elevation and grade of the 30-mile private right-of-way of the Portland, Gray, and Lewiston Railroad (Portland-Lewiston Interurban)
Thank You!

MUST-READ! - Click Here 

   Inside the Donald G. Curry Town House Restoration Shop, the Narcissus is in the midst of major work as we strive to complete its restoration. We are now planning the interpretation portion of the Narcissus Project. Donations to the Narcissus Project may be used in the future to help tell the incredible 100-plus-year-old story of the Narcissus. Your donation to the Narcissus is helping to make the dream of the project's success, a reality.

See below for Donation options -
It starts with YOU
Your Donation Matters
Make a Donation TODAY

Please Help the Narcissus. 
Donation Options to Help the Narcissus Project:

The New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
is the 501c3 organization that owns and operates the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME and the National Streetcar
The NEERHS is registered with the IRS (EIN# 01-0244457) and was incorporated in Maine in 1941.

Check or Money Order ***** should be made payable to:
New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
In the memo please write: Narcissus Fund 816-A
Mail to: Seashore Trolley Museum
              P. O. Box A
              Kennebunkport, ME 04046

Credit Card ***** donations can be a one-time donation or you
may choose to have a specific amount charged to your card
automatically on a monthly basis. Please contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5.

Online Donations - may be made by using a Credit Card: 
Click Here to make an online donation through the Museum's website - When at the Donation page: Fill in donor info, etc., when at "To which fund are you donating? Scroll down to "Other" and type in: 816-A Narcissus, then continue on filling in the required information.

Click Here for PayPal - to make an online donation: you can use email: finance@NEERHS.org and in the message box write:
For Narcissus fund 816-A

Donation of Securities ***** We also accept donations of
securities. You can contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5,
for brokerage account information for accepting donated securities.

BONUS ***** If you work for a company/corporation that will
"match" an employee's donation to an approved 501c3 non-profit
educational organization, please be sure to complete the necessary paperwork with your employer so that your donation is matched :)

Questions? ***** Please contact Narcissus project manager:
Phil Morse, pmorse31@gmail.com or call 207-985-9723 - cell.

Thank You :)

Thank You for our Current Funding Partners
20th Century Electric Railway Foundation - 2018 - Major Gift, 2017/2014 Matching Grants
Renaissance Charitable Foundation (LPCT) by Fiduciary Trust Charitable Giving Fund
Mass Bay RRE - 2018 Railroad Preservation Grant 
Thornton Academy (Saco, ME) - Staff & Alumni - Matching Grant Challenge 2014
New England Electric Railway Historical Society (Kennebunkport, ME) - Member Donations
Amherst Railway Society - 2015 Heritage Grant
National Railway Historical Society - 2016 & 2015 Heritage Preservation Grants
Enterprise Holding Foundation - 2015 Community Grant
Theodore Roosevelt Association - Member Donations
John Libby Family Association and Member Donations
* The Conley Family - In Memory of Scott Libbey 2018/2017/2016/2015
* The W. S. Libbey Family - Awalt, Conley, Graf, Holman, Libbey, McAvoy, McLaughlin, Meldrum, O'Halloran, Salto, - 2018/2017
* The Hughes Family 2017/2016/2010
New Gloucester Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Public Library Association - Pat Barter Speaker Series
* LogMein - Matching Employee Donation
* IBM - Matching Employee/Retiree Donations
* Fidelity Charitable Grant - Matching Employee Donations
* Richard E. Erwin Grant - 2017/2016

The Narcissus, with interior back-lit, stained glass windows are majestic.
Make a donation today to help restore the interior of this Maine gem.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track! Once restored,
you will be able to ride in luxury on this National Register Treasure at
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.
PWM photo

Please Consider Making a Donation to the project of the National Register of Historic Places member, Narcissus. We are currently raising funds to tell the incredible story of this Maine gem.

Various News stories during the summer of 2015 about the
Narcissus and its connection to Theodore Roosevelt. TR
was a passenger on the Narcissus on August 18, 1914.

Click Here to See the list of All Previous Blog Posts - Index

The Narcissus - July 31, 2015. Make a donation today.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track!
Once restored, you will be able to ride in luxury on this
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment