Tuesday, January 1, 2019

80th Anniversary Year - Seashore Trolley Museum - A Look Back at the 60s

 Back cover of 1969 Annual Report has Cecilia Clapp at 
the controls of 1905 Connecticut Company open car No.
838 on the main line. This is north of where the crossing
is now to Seashore Trolley Museum's restoration shop.
The building on the right was Syracuse Station, temporarily
(1963-65) marking end-of-the-line. The station
 used to wear an old NYC station sign "Syracuse".

     Now that it is officially 2019, let's start the 80th Anniversary Year for Seashore Trolley Museum off with a look back at some of the tidbits of its operations in the 1960s. These blog posts are not meant to be detailed, comprehensive accounting of the historical significance of the organization, just a fun peek back to reminisce.

Click Here for 80th Anniversary Year -Seashore Trolley Museum 1939-1919
Click Here for the post - "80th Anniversary Year-A Look Back at the 50s -Seashore Trolley Museum
Click Here for the post - 80th Anniversary Year - A Look Back at the 60s -Seashore Trolley Museum
Click Here for the post - 80th Anniversary Year -A Look Back at the '70s -Seashore Trolley Museum
Click Here for The Birth of Seashore Trolley Museum Blog Post
Click Here for the post - 1901 Tower C Boston Elevated Railway to STM 1975

     The 1960s were incredibly active in all facets of the Museum as it expanded its worldwide collection and its infrastructure to store, exhibit, and expand its growing public operation. The donation of the motor generator in 1961 allowed for negotiations to start with Central Maine Power for a proposal to purchase electricity to be used in coordination with the MG set to power the Museum's operation.

The "New" Riverside car barn was featured in 1960
Annual Report. The decision was also made in 1960 for
"Reunification". In order to handle the equipment and public
visitors that will be at the "Shop" location following the
reunification (where the Museum campus started originally
and is currently) from Route 1 "Terminal" operation, there
was a need to extend track, add car barn facilities,
visitor parking, and have a visitor gift shop and bathroom
facilities at the Shop location. It all was accomplished
in time for the busy summer of 1961.

1960 would be the final year of opps. at the "Terminal". Here
is 1905 Connecticut Co. No. 838 at the gift shop at the
terminal. This photo was part of a family album.
Courtesy Sharon Cummins

This family photo album includes images of their visit to the
"shops" facility at the main campus off Log Cabin Road.
This photo was part of a family album.
Courtesy Sharon Cummins

The "shops" campus had many more trolleys on display for
visitors to see and step into.
This photo was part of a family album.
Courtesy Sharon Cummins

At the terminal, 1903 Dunedin, NZ, No. 105 is out in the sun
on the left. It was stored in the building at the terminal for
several years. 1930 Liverpool double-decker tram from
Liverpool, UK. Courtesy Sharon Cummins

It was very common during the three years of the terminal
operation for a trolley ride, that visitors would visit the "shops" 
campus either before or after visiting the terminal. At the
"shops" campus, there were many more cars available to see.
Here is 1930 Cinninatti Car co. No118 next to Shop 1.
Courtesy Sharon Cummins

1911 Nagasaki, Japan No. 134 at the shops campus.
Courtesy Sharon Cummins

Acquiring additions to the collection did ease up a bit in the 
60s compared to the 50s. 1914 Rome No. 279 arrived
in April 1960.

From the November-December 1960 "Dispatch", here is a list of volunteers from Saturday, November 5, 1960. These volunteers assembled for a promotional publicity program sponsored by Savogran Co. of Norwood, MA. They were promoting a new paint remover product, "Special Strypeeze". Local newspapers and radio promoted the event.  Car 925, the 1894 parlor car from Boston MTA was the chosen candidate for the task. In less than 2 hours, the whole side of 925 was stripped of approximately 14 coats of paint. Then lunch, catered by "Dot's Lunch" in Kennebunk, was served in car 134, the 1911 closed car from Nagasaki, Japan, while on the new track at the rear of Riverside carbarn. Volunteers: George Sanborn, Frank Cheney, Fred Perry, Russ Munroe, Cecilia Clapp, Paul Castiglione, Mrs. Stephenson, Ted Santarelli, John G. Smith, Clayton Sargent, Mrs. Sargent, Ernest Brigham, Evelyn Perry, Don Curry, Larry Shelvey, Art Duncan, Chalie Duncan, Lois Gardner, Paul Newsome, Mrs. Gene Corringale, Mrs. Marie Cloud Higgins, Clement K. Stodder, Glen Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Billy Kouvlier, with Mr. Higgins of the Savogran Co. instructing.

Here is the official press release photo promoting the
Savogran Co. paint remover being used by STM volunteers
on No. 925 in November 1960. PWM photo

The back of the press release photo has the text of the
press release. PWM photo

Here's the Nagasaki Car 134 on June 25, 1960.
This photo was taken just north of Clough's Crossing
on the mainline.

Adequate shelter for the collection is mentioned in this page of the
Nov-Dec 1960 Dispatch. 

This page from the Nov-Dec 1960 Dispatch has this map that shows
the "Shops Track Layout". Remember, the term, "Shops", means
the area of the original campus started in 1939 and is part of the
current Museum campus.

1961 brought the initial construction of what would become,
after some additional construction, the restoration shop. The
 track entrance to the existing shop building is still called the
Quonset hut, even though the hut itself collapsed a few years
after this photo was taken. 

1961 Seashore Trolley Museum Campus Map

Seashore Trolley Museum, the Museum of Mass Transit, 
has its first bus listed in the roster of 1962 Historic Cars of
the Seashore Trolley Museum. 1934 Eastern Mass Street
Railway H-9 bus.

1963 brought the first trackless trolley into the collection of
Seashore Trolley Museum's, Museum of Mass Transit, 1948
No. 8361 from Boston, MA.

Jan.-Feb. 1964 Dispatch kicked off the 25th Anniversary Year with a cover
that had a reprinted copy of the notice of June 18, 1939, "Swan Song"
of the B & S - Farewell to the Biddeford & Saco. The trip that started it all.

The Jan.-Feb. 1964 Dispatch continues the 25th Anniversary Year
with John E. Amlaw and  Charles A. Duncan, writing nearly three
pages of their recollections of how the young men went about getting
the collection started in 1939/40. Page of 3


Page 2 of 3

Page 3 of 3

The "Highway Monster" continued to be busy
as volunteers traveled around the country
bringing vehicles to the Museum campus. Here
the cover of the 1965 Annual Report with
1921 Hamburg, Germany No. 2710 on the
HM as it tours through Boston in front
the Trinity Church prior to heading to Seashore.

1965 Annual Report has South
Boston track work, mainline view of
CMP poles being relocated, which
allowed for track extension, the 
last roof truss placed in the new
Highwood carbarn, and 1930
Quebec interurban exits the Quonset
hut after receiving a new coat of
paint.

Maine Governor John H. Reed became
a new public trustee in 1965. This year he
and his staff negotiated a pair of Baldwin
trucks with motors from Oshawa, Ontario,
as a gift from the Canadian National
Railways. The trucks were acquired for
use in the restoration of the as-yet-to-be-
acquired, 1912, No. 14, Portland-
Lewiston Interurban, Narcissus.

        1966 was the first year that the Seashore Trolley Museum hosted the Annual Convention for the Association of Railway Museums. The convention took place on October 22 & 23, 1966. The Museum had more than 75 vehicles in its collection in 1966. A then, record daily attendance of 783 riders on August 10, 1966.

1966 brought a couple of North Shore cars to Seashore. Here is
1930 No 755. 1928 No 420 arrives - see below. 

1928 North Shore car No. 420 is loaded at the Kennebunk
train station prior to traveling to Seashore.

Russ Munroe took this fine photo of 755 and 420, trained,
at the end of the mainline with 1905 Connecticut open car
No. 838 in the background. This was part of a photo page
insert in the Jul.-Aug. 1966 Dispatch.

Jul.-Aug. 1966 issue of Dispatch had the Narcissus as the
header on the cover page. It would be three more years before
the Narcissus arrived on campus.

Mainline track extension work was a must. A photo from
the 1966 Annual Report.

Track crew. A very resourceful, hardworking group of
individuals. That can be said of the track crews throughout
STM's history, including today!

1967 Seashore Trolley Museum campus map. Proposed
carbarns are seen on the Butler Grove land

From the 1968 Annual Report

1968 Annual Report update on the "City"
restoration work.

Maine Governor Kenneth M. Curtis
became a public trustee in 1968.

     One of the most significant announcements in 1969 was that the Museum's Chairman of the Board, John G. Smith made a donation of enough land to the East of the original triangle to permit upgrading of the "front door approach". This would lead to the creation of what is now the public entrance and road to the Museum parking lot and visitor center. Construction and track extension work also started on Butler Grove building #2, i.e, Central carbarn. The Museum campus would be undergoing more major landscape changes in 1969 and well into and through the 1970s. Last, but not least, October 31, 1969, the Narcissus arrived on campus. Fifty years ago! 

From the 1969 Annual Report

A portion of the text in the 1969 Annual Report describing the
long-awaited arrival of the Narcissus.

Click on: "Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride," to learn about the young reader historical fiction chapter book due for release this fall. Proceeds will benefit the Narcissus Project :)

Please Consider a Donation to the Narcissus Project
to help us tell the incredible story of the Narcissus through the interpretation portion of the Narcissus Project.
Thank You

   Inside the Donald G. Curry Town House Restoration Shop, the Narcissus is in the midst of major work as we strive to complete its restoration. With our estimate to have the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Narcissus in the fall of 2021, we are now planning the interpretation portion of the Narcissus Project. Donations to the Narcissus Project may be used in the future to help tell the incredible 100-plus-year-old story of the Narcissus. Your donation to the Narcissus is helping to make the dream of the project's success, a reality.

The 2015 publication of, The Illustrated Atlas
of Maine's Street & Electric Railways
1863-1946, was published by the Library
at Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunkport.
Copies are available for purchase from the

Seashore Trolley Museum, - Museum of Mass Transit, is celebrating its 80th Birthday year in 2019! 
Special Events are scheduled  - Public operations start on May 4, 2019. 
Click Here for the 2019 Events & Special Activities for the 80th Anniversary Season, with hot links

Click Here for 2019 Special Events 


Click Here for 80th Anniversary Year - Seashore Trolley Museum 1939-2019 post
Click Here for the post - 80th Anniversary Year -A Look Back at the 50s - Seashore Trolley Mus.
Click Here for the post - 80th Anniversary Year - A Look Back at the 60s  - Seashore Trolley Mus.
Click Here for the post - 80th Anniversary Year -A Look Back at the '70s - Seashore Trolley Mus.
Click Here for The Birth of Seashore Trolley Museum Blog Post
Click Here for STM's Ten National Register of Historic Places Electric Railway Vehicles post
Click Here for 1901 Tower C Boston Elevated Railway to STM in 1975
Click Here for No. 38 - 1906 Manchester & Nashua Street Railway - Acquired March 21, 1940
Click Here for No. 60 - 1895 Manchester Street Railway - Acquired April 11, 1941
Click Here for No. 4387 - 1918 Eastern Mass. Street Railway - Acquired August 29, 1946
Click Here for No. 100 - 1906 Atlantic Shore Line Railway - Acquired 1949
Click Here for No. 108 - 1904 Portsmouth, Dover & York Street Railway - Acquired 1949
Click Here for No. 14 Narcissus 1912 Portland-Lewiston Interurban - Acquired 1969

See below for Donation options -

It starts with YOU
Your Donation Matters
Make a Donation TODAY

Please Help the Narcissus. 

Donation Options to Help the Narcissus Project:


The New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
is the 501c3 organization that owns and operates the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME and the National Streetcar
The NEERHS is registered with the IRS (EIN# 01-0244457) and was incorporated in Maine in 1941.

Check or Money Order ***** should be made payable to:
New England Electric Railway Historical Society (NEERHS)
In the memo please write: Narcissus Fund 816-A
Mail to: Seashore Trolley Museum
              P. O. Box A
              Kennebunkport, ME 04046

Credit Card ***** donations can be a one-time donation or you
may choose to have a specific amount charged to your card
automatically on a monthly basis. Please contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5.

Online Donations - may be made by using a Credit Card: 
Click Here to make an online donation through the Museum's website - When at the Donation page: Fill in donor info, etc., when at "To which fund are you donating? Scroll down to "Other" and type in: 816-A Narcissus, then continue on filling in the required information.

Click Here for PayPal - to make an online donation: you can use email: finance@NEERHS.org and in the message box write:
For Narcissus fund 816-A

Donation of Securities ***** We also accept donations of
securities. You can contact the Museum bookkeeper, Connie, via email at finance@NEERHS.org or by phone, 207-967-2712 ext. 5,
for brokerage account information for accepting donated securities.

BONUS ***** If you work for a company/corporation that will
"match" an employee's donation to an approved 501c3 non-profit
educational organization, please be sure to complete the necessary paperwork with your employer so that your donation is matched :)

Questions? ***** Please contact Narcissus project manager:
Phil Morse, pmorse31@gmail.com or call 207-985-9723 - cell.

Thank You :)

Thank You for our Current Funding Partners
20th Century Electric Railway Foundation - 2018 - Major Gift, 2017/2014 Matching Grants
Mass Bay RRE - 2018 Railroad Preservation Grant 
Thornton Academy (Saco, ME) - Staff & Alumni - Matching Grant Challenge 2014
New England Electric Railway Historical Society (Kennebunkport, ME) - Member Donations
Amherst Railway Society - 2015 Heritage Grant
National Railway Historical Society - 2016 & 2015 Heritage Preservation Grants
Enterprise Holding Foundation - 2015 Community Grant
Theodore Roosevelt Association - Member Donations
John Libby Family Association and Member Donations
* The Conley Family - In Memory of Scott Libbey 2018/2017/2016/2015
* The W. S. Libbey Family - Awalt, Conley, Graf, Holman, Libbey, McAvoy, McLaughlin, Meldrum, O'Halloran, Salto, - 2018/2017
* The Hughes Family 2017/2016/2010
New Gloucester Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Historical Society and Member Donations
Gray Public Library Association - Pat Barter Speaker Series
* LogMein - Matching Employee Donation
* IBM - Matching Employee/Retiree Donations
* Fidelity Charitable Grant - Matching Employee Donations
* Richard E. Erwin Grant - 2017/2016

The Narcissus, with interior back-lit, stained glass windows are majestic.
Make a donation today to help restore the interior of this Maine gem.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track! Once restored,
you will be able to ride in luxury on this National Register Treasure at
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.
PWM photo

Please Consider Making a Donation to the project of the National Register of Historic Places member, Narcissus. We are currently raising funds to tell the incredible story of this Maine gem.

Various News stories during the summer of 2015 about the
Narcissus and its connection to Theodore Roosevelt. TR
was a passenger on the Narcissus on August 18, 1914.

Click Here to See the list of All Previous Blog Posts - Index

The Narcissus - July 31, 2015. Make a donation today.
Help Theodore Roosevelt's Maine Ride get back on track!
Once restored, you will be able to ride in luxury on this
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment